Talk

Advanced search

BLW at 5 months???

(6 Posts)
GruffaloSoldier Tue 08-Sep-09 23:02:16

Ok,

so I have the BLW book and was all prepared to start at 6 months, not in any rush. Fine, great stuff!

Oh, except my DS (5 months next week) decides that is a month and 1 week too early and swiped my toast as I was eating it today and started chewing it! Ok, so I wrestled it off him and he didnt seem that bothered but he continued to watch me like a hawk and continued to lunge for every mouthful. He was pratically crawling over me to get to my plate.

so...do I not eat infront of him until 6 months now, or do I give in and let him decide? Please help I just want to do the right thing by and him and not give him any nasty allerges!

I have done some research on web and there is mixed response about readiness before the magic 6 months.

TIA...

you Wed 09-Sep-09 10:06:05

AFAIK if they are able to grab, chew and swallow food, their gut is mature enough to handle it. You can just put a few bits and bobs (stick with fruit and veg till 6 months) on a tray in front of him and see what happens smile

GruffaloSoldier Wed 09-Sep-09 15:30:26

Great thanks! I have read this too. I think maybe I will just give him a floret of broccoli when we eat later and see what happens. I very much doubt that he is going to eat much anyway. I will just let him have a play

BertieBotts Fri 11-Sep-09 23:49:33

We did this DS started at 22 weeks. I don't think he swallowed a whole lot to begin with.

DrJen Sat 12-Sep-09 20:56:30

DS was 1 week over 5 months & I lost breakfast 2 mornings in a row to him, followed by a right tantrum because he couldnt have a piece of my sandwich at lunch... so we started BLW early and haven't looked back.
We were about 1 week in before I started finding "presents" in his nappy!

DS was obviously ready. I stuck to bread & veg until 6 months (Im dairy intolerant & big history of atopy in family) so avoided dairy/eggs etc until 6 months - but he's just over 8 months and loves mealtimes!

Roasted veg & banana is a great starting place.

cara2244 Sun 13-Sep-09 20:35:05

Mine grabbed a chocolate croissant at about 5+1 week. We started with a few bits of fruit and veg at 5.5 months but nothing serious until 6mths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now