Talk

Advanced search

Weaning and perfect prep machine

(13 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 13-Dec-15 17:26:37

Just a few questions if anyone can help please.

I'm breastfeeding and plan to stop at 6 months (I've decided that the right time for us) so we will start to BLW but he will still need milk. I'm going to wean him of the boob and slowly onto formula.

So .......

Is it worth getting a perfect prep machine to use till he can have cows milk? (I'd get a second hand one, so not fussed on the cost factor)

I don't know anything about bottle feeding, do I still need to sterilise them as you would a newborns ?

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

zombiemeow Wed 16-Dec-15 18:19:08

Yes yes yes to the perfect prep machine! I love mine. Saves so much time and hassle.

I was told you sterilise until they are 1 year old.

Good luck smile

stargirl1701 Wed 16-Dec-15 18:20:07

Sterilise if using powdered formula. Age is irrelevant.

DangerMouth Wed 16-Dec-15 18:21:45

No l don't think so. I make up two bottles at a time then stick them in the microwave for 20 seconds when needed. Job done.

Sterilise until 12 months.

villainousbroodmare Wed 16-Dec-15 18:26:41

I'm watching with interest.

ANiceSliceOfCake Wed 16-Dec-15 21:02:35

Thank you for your replies, I'm still undecided!

How many bottles a day does a baby have at say 8 months? I'm trying to see how much use I'd get out of the machine you see, thanks.

Yarpyarp Wed 16-Dec-15 21:06:45

Get one! So quick and easy to use.

I only use it for 1 bottle a day at the moment (BF the rest of the time), and it's worth it just for that.

nephrofox Wed 16-Dec-15 21:07:34

At 8 months I'd say 3 bottles a day. They're supposed to have 600ml of formula until 12 months, so ideally you would have 1 200ml bottle on waking, one mid afternoon and one before bed.

You do know that the PP machine doesn't sterilise the bottles yes? It just makes them from powder quickly. TBH I wouldn't bother getting it - it's advantage in my opinion is it makes the bottles at the correct temp quickly - but that's more necessary with an unpredictable smaller baby, not when you have a fair idea of when the bottle will be needed and simply boil the kettle in advance . Or make up 3 at a time and keep in fridge like most people do.

BumWad Wed 16-Dec-15 21:17:00

I would get one. My 29 weeker (22 weeks corrected) sometimes has 7 bottles in 24 hours (weaning going veryyyy slowly). The perfect prep has been a life saver. We also mostly breastfed till 6 months. Worth every penny

polkadotdelight Wed 16-Dec-15 21:23:00

I am not convinced you would get the use out of it at that age. It depends on how well weaning is going, my DS went gung ho for food and dropped milk dramatically (I did lots of worrying about pfb!). If you make up a flask of boiling water and another of boiled, cooled water daily then you can replicate the prep machine. I didnt manage breastfeeding so I loved the machine and we got plenty of use out of it. I have friends who made bottles the 'old school' way by doing it in advance and microwaving, their babies are thriving. It all boils down to whatever you are comfortable with. Our steriliser broke down just before his first birthday so we just stopped sterilising then.

flowerygirl Fri 18-Dec-15 14:58:47

At this stage I wouldn't bother with a PP machine, I'd only get it if bottle feeding from birth.

I stopped sterilising at 4 months blush

Artandco Fri 18-Dec-15 15:03:24

I wouldn't. Buy 7/8 months main feeds are in the morning and evening with one midday ish so you can just make them fresh as you know a set time approx rather than crying for bottles there and then with a newborn

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 24-Dec-15 14:04:37

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. Think I'll leave it unless I spot a real bargain second hand one then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now