Talk

Advanced search

1 year old- milk intake and vitamin drop questions

(6 Posts)
annatha Sat 17-Oct-15 19:05:27

My dd is coming up to her first birthday and is currently on 3 bottles a day- 7oz first thing in the morning, 7oz late afternoon after her nap and 8oz before bed. I've got a couple of questions:

Should I be dropping the middle bottle and replacing it with a snack?

At what point should we be swapping bottles for sippy cups? (She will drink water from a cup reluctantly, she's much more interested in taking a big mouthful and spurting it down herself)

When we switch to cow's milk should we stick to the same volume of milk over the course of the day, or start to decrease it?

Which vitamin drops would you recommend?

My HV is always rushed off her feet when I see her and just directed me to the NHS website when I asked her about this but I can't find much information aside from to introduce cow's milk no earlier than 1 year.

Thanks in advance!

annatha Sun 18-Oct-15 21:50:55

Anyone?

dementedpixie Sun 18-Oct-15 21:54:54

300mls is recommended from 1 year. It's recommended all children aged 6 months to 5 years are given vitamins A, C and D unless they are having more than 1 pint of formula per day (more aimed at 6m to 1 year olds). My 2 only had 2 milk feeds per day at age 1 so I just gave them the same amount of cows milk as I did formula.

dementedpixie Sun 18-Oct-15 21:57:20

P.s. Dd was off bottles by 15 months and ds by 10 months. They had milk from a lidded cup instead. Why not offer the middle milk in a cup alongside a snack to start with and leave the others in a bottle until she starts to take more from the cup.

annatha Sun 18-Oct-15 23:46:04

Brilliant thanks! I knew that the vitamins were to replace what she was getting from the formula but wasn't sure about amounts.

katieteresa Tue 17-Nov-15 09:21:00

The government give free Healthy Start Children's vitamin drops to low income mums for kids 1 month to 5 years. This brand belongs to the department of Health and carries the NHS logo. If you need to buy them they are stocked in Superdrug with the other brands of drops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now