Talk

Advanced search

gammon joint and salt

(11 Posts)
FrumiousBandersnatch Tue 11-Mar-14 13:37:37

I've cooked a ham hock for dinner tonight. I didn't soak it but I did the Nigella blanching trick - bring it to the boil, skim off the scum, tip out the water and then cook in new water. Will it be too salty to give a small amount to a 7mo?

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Tue 11-Mar-14 13:46:41

It's just not something I would give to a baby being weaned.

I have no science to back this up, but it just doesn't sound right. I wouldn't wean a baby with any red meat.

donnie Tue 11-Mar-14 13:48:28

yes, far too salty for a baby shock

FrumiousBandersnatch Tue 11-Mar-14 13:52:30

Thanks for the feedback.

Little call for the shock

Boreoff Tue 11-Mar-14 13:57:43

I would give a small amount.

IglooisnowinSheffield Tue 11-Mar-14 14:06:46

shock Made me laugh, I doubt the baby will be getting the full joint grin

I'm sure a few scraps with the veg will be fine, people forget the tiny amount 7 months old eat.

TheGreatHunt Tue 11-Mar-14 14:08:57

No gammon or other salty foods. I didn't give any salty food until mine were 12 months (that inv!uses cheese and we had minimal or home made bread). Now, sadly, they love sausages and beans.

jen2014 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:49:30

I took the 'as many flavours as possible' approach when weaning mine

TheScience Tue 11-Mar-14 14:54:27

It's not something that I would worry about personally. They eat small amounts at that age and so long as you aren't adding salt/stock to cooking or using lots of processed food then a little bit of ham/cheese/bread wouldn't bother me.

Smerlin Tue 11-Mar-14 16:24:28

Babies should be weaned onto red meat due to the iron. Maybe not in the first week if you want to start slowly but meat would be a good idea one month in.

Smerlin Tue 11-Mar-14 16:24:59

Obviously not if you're veggie and using alternative sources of iron too !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now