Talk

Advanced search

Snacks for a hungry 9mth old

(10 Posts)
lisbapalea Mon 29-Nov-10 12:57:30

Hi all,
Wondered if anyone had some suggestions on morning snacks for my 9mth DD. She has recently started being really grumpy when I take her out in the morning and only calms down when I give her something like a rice cake. I frequently end up giving her about 5 in the space of 30-45mins, and I just feel that this seems too much!

She takes 180ml of milk at 7.30ish, followed by readybrek mixed with fruit, followed by some toast (usually sucks on about half a slice).

This seems like quite a substantial breakfast but she does then seem to act starving hungry when she wakes from her morning nap.

Any tried and tested suggestions for this time of day, or should I just continue with the rice cakes?

Probably sounds stupid but I don't want her to get a real taste for cruncy snacks in case she becomes of crisps addict when she's older!!

Hope this makes sense and I don't sound stupid and/or neurotic!

Tigresswoods Mon 29-Nov-10 13:23:09

I have a hungry 9 month old son and find the following snacks good:

Banana
Yogurt (the little ones)
Finger sandwiches of laughing cow, or grated cheese or marmite

I find they go through phases, sometimes he is ravenous and I have to feed him 3 meals, 2 bottles and 2 snacks in a 12 hour period and sometimes he isn't interested in very much at all.

Good luck!

lisbapalea Mon 29-Nov-10 13:31:25

Thanks Tigresswoods! I bought some philadelphia earlier so might give finger sandwiches with that a go! Seems less messy when on the go than a yog might be...!

Tigresswoods Mon 29-Nov-10 15:28:16

Bread can be crumbly but yes, on the whole less messy and they can do it themselves as much or as little as need be. smile

Hohumchops Mon 29-Nov-10 15:36:48

Fruit loaf always worked for me. And, if it is fresh, don't need to butter it and it gives a sweet boost for energy. Travels well too if cut up and squashed into tuppaware

Mini breadsticks? They only start eating crisps if you give them to them, surely?

My DS ate a load of rice cakes when out and about sometimes - it is true, they go through phases of grwoing when seem to eat loads every hour, especially when they are mobile.

Tigresswoods Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:44

Ooh, I like the sound of Fruit Loaf. Just googled it, any recommendations for favoured recipes?

LovingKent Tue 30-Nov-10 13:52:19

Also have a hungry boy here(11 months). Snacks that are popular are:-

grapes
apple slices
rice cakes
breadsticks
blueberries
toast
sultanas

Like tigresswoods I find some days he is more hungry than others. You could try increasing her portion of readybrek at breakfast or try other breakfasts - cheese on toast works well here as do drop scones and scrambled eggs.

valbona Tue 30-Nov-10 20:23:28

I don't know how your day works but we always give DD (nearly 10 months) about 5/6oz after her morning nap - it's definitely her "favourite" bottle and keeps her cheery til lunchtime.

MaElsie Wed 01-Dec-10 20:12:59

you could try fruit - half / quarter some grapes, skin a plum. Or veg - lightly boil / steam some carrot sticks. Or pieces of toast / bread.

Bobby99 Fri 03-Dec-10 19:44:01

I go for fairly mess free snacks for DD. Blueberries go down a storm (they need the pincer grip for that though), little cubes of cheese, savoury muffins etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: