Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Family card games

(13 Posts)
PatsysPyjamas Mon 24-Oct-16 13:42:11

Does anyone have any game recommendations? We have recently enjoyed Dobble, Sushi Go, Loonacy. I'm looking for something for DD's 10th birthday. DS is 7 and would be playing too, although can usually manage games a bit older than his age.

kate33 Mon 24-Oct-16 13:51:18

Ooh good thread op! My middle ds has just started playing cards with dh in the evenings. But very basic, Happy Families, gin rummy etc. So no recommendations sorry but I will take your suggestions and raise you......no, tried to make a card game joke didn't work, I shall just watch the thread quietly. grin
One thing I did buy though, is a card game book and the amount of different games and variations are staggering .

iklboo Mon 24-Oct-16 13:52:36

Exploding Kittens. Great fun. No actual kittens explode grin

DartmoorDoughnut Mon 24-Oct-16 13:55:21

We play Racing Demons, still do and it's always hilarious - possibly more so now it's generally an after dinner/drinks game! - but it was a staple of wet camping hols when we were about the same age as your DC grin

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/22/card-games-patience-racing-demon

PatsysPyjamas Tue 25-Oct-16 09:19:51

Thanks all! I am going to buy Exploding Kittens - looks great! Dartmoor, I have been reading the rules for Racing Demons and I am struggling to understand. I am crap with instructions. Will try again as it sounds fun!
Kate, we also play lots of playing card games. How old are your DC? Mine are 10 & 7 and enjoy Spit, Tour De France, Knock, Whist, Strip Jack Naked etc.

While looking for Exploding Kittens I also came across Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Fluxx. Anyone played any of these with children?

coffeetasteslikeshit Tue 25-Oct-16 09:53:29

Our favourites are gin rummy, Uno and Monopoly Deal.

coffeetasteslikeshit Tue 25-Oct-16 09:53:54

Kids are 9 and 11.

Datun Tue 25-Oct-16 09:58:20

Skip Bo and Uno. Both Great family games. We are cardplaying family and those two are staples. The whole family joining from eight-year-olds up to great grandmas. Relatively easy to pick up and a lot of competition and hilarity.

NapQueen Tue 25-Oct-16 10:01:37

Spoons. Only requirements are a deck of cards and one fewer spoons than there are players.

Spoons in a circle in the centre of the table and all stand around the table. Everyone is dealt 4 cards. The deck sits face down next to one person.

The aim is to get four of a kind. Whoever gets this shouts SPOONS!! and everyone reaches for a spoon. The one who fails to get a spoon looses.

The person with the deck next to them picks up a card adds it to their 4 and then discards one they don't need down on their other side for the next person to pick up and continues. The game is fast paced and fun!

teablanket Tue 25-Oct-16 10:02:10

We're fans of Sleeping Queens, Rat-a-tat Cat and Gloom. (Gloom is aimed teens/adults but my 7yo loves it)

We also play Carcassonne a lot, and Small World if you're looking for more suggestions. smile

SpecialStains Tue 25-Oct-16 10:03:01

Uno

Exploding kittens

Cheat (ordinary deck of cards)

PatsysPyjamas Tue 25-Oct-16 10:21:20

Ooh loads of ideas here, thanks. Off to investigate

DartmoorDoughnut Tue 25-Oct-16 10:48:30

It's basically solitaire on speed I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now