Talk

Advanced search

Moving from London to Edinburgh

(9 Posts)
Havekidsneedcoffee Fri 08-Feb-19 17:10:51

Hello, would be very grateful for advice as to whether to move from Putney to Edinburgh.

I'm went to university in Edinburgh and now live in Putney. Have been in London for c15 years (hubby is from Birmingham, I'm from Ayrshire). We have 2 young kids with another on the way.

The cost of everything in London is so high I keep thinking how much more space we could have to live and our quality of life in general if we moved out. We do have lots of friends here and there are lots of jobs available and always loads going on very close to where we live which is fab.

If we moved, I'd want to have all of the same opportunities for the kids, so tennis, swimming, art classes, drama, music, gymnastics, cub scouts etc. Also we'd like to have good schools (state and private) and wonder if anyone else has done the transition or have a view? I know Edinburgh has loads of activities but I can't quite imagine how it would be if we moved and if the locals would be friendly to newcomers.

Such a big deal we wouldn't want to regret it. Hubby is not that keen but he's not that desperate to get back to Solihull either.

I also wonder if anyone thought about leaving London when the kids were young and then didn't and how that has worked out? Sorry for long post - much appreciated!

strawberryredhead Fri 08-Feb-19 17:15:22

I don’t know but I have friends in Edinburgh (who don’t have kids), it’s a lovely city with a lot of activities and places to go if you do have kids

strawberryredhead Fri 08-Feb-19 17:17:07

Having said that, if you have lots of friends where you are and there’s loads to do, more space at home isn’t everything. Edinburgh may feel a little staid after London.

juneau Fri 08-Feb-19 17:23:51

You might want to move this to Scotsnet OP, if want opinions on moving to Edinburgh.

We moved out of London and don't regret it one bit, but we're only just outside in a small home counties city and DH continues to work in London. Almost all my friends from my 20s in London have moved out (or gone back to their home country), and the one good friend who stayed says moped muggers are a real problem near her kids' school south of the river. Knife crime and gangs would also be a big fear for me if I was raising my kids in London, although where we live isn't immune to drugs, gangs and crime either. All the stuff you mention though is definitely available in the 'nicer' areas of pretty much British city or large town. It's hard to leave the London bubble and hard to imagine that other places might actually be better for raising a family, but I'd encourage you to take the plunge if you're tempted. It's nice to have countryside nearby and to escape from the ultra-competitiveness and rush, rush, rush of London.

howdoyoukeepawaveuponthesand Fri 08-Feb-19 17:29:36

My sister and her husband moved from London to Edinburgh (he’s Scottish, she’s from Liverpool) and they absolutely love it.

I do believe that I lot of the state schools have bad reps but there are lots of brilliant public schools if you can afford it.

Property is expensive and the offers over system is a nightmare but there are some lovely areas and homes that are a bus ride away from the city centre.

It’s a wonderful city, moreso if you are comfortably well off.

Havekidsneedcoffee Sat 09-Feb-19 10:52:16

Thank you for all your comments. We have also looked at Guildford and thought about places like Esher and Woking or maybe it's Wokingham, I'm not sure. Just seems such a big move when you don't know anyone in these places and Edinburgh seems easier as I know it from before. OH says he will consider Home Counties before Edinburgh so maybe I'll give it another thought. I imagine just the same as London though! And house prices pretty much the same so no benefit there.

Thanks so much for the tips I'll check out the Scottish app you mentioned, I didn't know about this, I'm new to Mumsnet too!

Much appreciated and hope you have lovely windy Saturdays!

Havekidsneedcoffee Sat 09-Feb-19 10:54:57

Hi Juneau, I've looked at Scotsnet but it appears to be a website for Scottish transport officers! Could it be called something else? I've checked the App Store and google so would be grateful if you could help me further. Much appreciated!

Thecazelets Sat 09-Feb-19 10:59:47

Scotsnet is on mumsnet Talk under 'other stuff'!

Havekidsneedcoffee Sat 09-Feb-19 14:15:57

Great, thanks so much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: