Talk

Advanced search

Surfing holiday in Cornwall

(13 Posts)
ThreeLeggedCat Fri 27-Jan-17 19:54:53

Our kids will be 5 and 8 this summer. We fancy a beach/ surfy type holiday in Cornwall. DH can surf (but hasn't since before the kids were around). Kids and I are total beginners. Probably like self-catering, and would like to be close to the beach. Otherwise flexible, but I really don't know where to start. What towns/beaches/places should we look at? Help please wise MNetters 😎

BobbyNoggle Fri 27-Jan-17 20:06:46

Hayle is a lovely place, fantastic beach @Godrevy /Upton Towans beach.. Quite a few holiday parks/ cottages around there. St Ives Bay Holiday park (right on the fab beach) is great for surfing at Easter time-not sure about Summer sorry. Lots of surf schools in the area; this particular holiday park has one on site. Lots of boogie boarding too at Hayle
Also-Sennen Cove Is another great place for a surf holiday.

weaselwords Fri 27-Jan-17 20:09:25

Perranporth!!! Site of many a brilliant holiday for the weasel clan.

jesterkat Fri 27-Jan-17 20:10:51

Too many rip tides around perranporth. Too big and too easy to lose them on the beach in the height of summer. Will have a think

ThreeLeggedCat Sat 28-Jan-17 19:34:56

Thanks all, have looked at Hayle which looks lovely. Would worry about losing DS at Perranporth, in a rip tide!

Caprianna Sat 28-Jan-17 19:39:51

Would look to stay in st ives/ carbis bay area and mousehole is lovely. We surf in st ives and sennen cove. Both have surfs schools if you want to learn.

Timefor2 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:40:04

Came on to say Hayle too. The town is not that exciting but St Ives is fab (though crazy busy in summer) and Godrevy beach is just wonderful. Easy intro surfing - and if it is too big then Marazion is near and will be smaller.

Grumpbum Sat 28-Jan-17 19:44:31

Need to be Cornwall? Otherwise I would recommend north Devon around croyde/Saunton sands. Where my H learnt was excellent

HemanOrSheRa Sat 28-Jan-17 19:45:19

Mawgan Porth is nice. There is a brilliant surf school there, King Surf www.kingsurf.co.uk/surf-lessons-c43.html. DS had lessons when he was about 9 and had a great time.

Grumpbum Sat 28-Jan-17 19:45:43

Or woolacombe

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 28-Jan-17 19:48:25

I take my kids down to Westward Ho! for surfing, friends go to Woolacombe, never stayed as we do day trips but North Devon surf school is great

Toomanycats99 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:12:07

We have friends in north Devon, loads of surfing there particularly Croyde. Saunton is also a lovely beach.

mummymeister Sat 28-Jan-17 23:03:46

Polzeath is a lovely beach to surf on especially for beginners. surfs up surf school are highly recommended. you need to pick a beach with proper safety cover that's why we like polzeath.

the south coast is less prone to rip tides than the north but there is less surfing opportunities. bude is a good area as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now