Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nice places to eat in/near Durham?

(7 Posts)
VolumniaDedlock Thu 30-Jul-15 19:09:33

We've just booked a weekend in Durham (2 nights at the Premier Inn - classy).

We'll be eating out as much as we can, and so I'm after some recommendations. We'll have a car, and so could do country or coastal pubs as well as in the city itself. We'll have the kids with us, so sadly no 7 course tasting menus or Faine Dining, but equally the DC are pretty easy to feed, so we're not restricted to placed with children's menus.

scatterthenuns Thu 30-Jul-15 19:11:06

Like Asian?

I love Zen.

Other than that, I really like Cellar Door, which is very very central.

Sapphire25 Thu 30-Jul-15 19:16:10

there is a lovely cafe called Vennel's in Sadler Street

ouryve Thu 30-Jul-15 19:17:02

If you like Italian, the Zizzi in Durham city isn't bad and Italian Farmhouse out in West Rainton (one's just opened in Coxhoe, but not tried it) is nice.

Bells fish and chips, right on the market place are fab. Lots of history in the building, as well.

Lots of good Indie cafes in the city and it's hard to go wrong for a sandwich and a cuppa. If it's not raining, you can sit with an M&S sarnie in the Market Place or outside the cathedral and people watch grin

VolumniaDedlock Thu 30-Jul-15 19:22:16

brill, thanks. we'll definitely call into some independent cafes for a brew and cake. And I've just had a look at the menu for Zen - DC will love it I think.

Theas18 Thu 30-Jul-15 19:32:57

La spagettata. Best italian , maybe best eat in Durham for us. Cheap for pizza / pasta but nice fish etc too. Been there loads. Always the same family members there over the years !

Premier inn is nice assuming it's the one in the new bit of the centre- gawd we were there when the brevik shooting happened sad but the area around is very ...umm clubbing " in town" tastic in the evenings. That end of town is all chain eateries.

scatterthenuns Thu 30-Jul-15 20:57:13

Spagettata is foul! And I wouldn't give the owner Fabio my business! Avoid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now