ideas for a day fossil hunting in Lyme Regis with 6 and 7yr old?

(7 Posts)
Meglet Wed 22-Oct-14 20:57:02

If it doesn't rain in half term I'm planning a trip to Lyme Regis.

Obviously I've had a look at prices of fossil hunting kits, expensive and could be used as a weapon on a sibling hmm so maybe we need to do something more structured.

Is there a fossil museum in LR? Are there organised, educational child friendly trips to hunt for fossils and learn about the rocks?

OP’s posts: |
spababe Thu 23-Oct-14 14:16:38

Best to go to Charmouth and there is a free visitor centre there. Watch the film and it explains what to look for on the beach. You can hire a hammer and goggles in the fossil shop. Cafe at Charmouth beach as well.
I have also been on a fossil walk in Lyme. It was very interesting but difficult underfoot with huge rocks to transverse and you need to wear walking boots and booking is essential.

spababe Thu 23-Oct-14 14:17:13

Forgot to say you can take any finds back to the visitor centre at Charmouth and they will identify it for you for free.

Meglet Thu 23-Oct-14 21:55:11

Brilliant, I'll lookat Charmouth instead. Thank you smile.

I did look and the LR fossil walks are all booked up, and don't seem that child friendly either.

OP’s posts: |
Asteria Sun 26-Oct-14 10:01:42

Charmouth is a lot more satisfying for children as they can find fossils really easily. It isn't far to Lyme so you could go there for lunch (really fab place called The Bakery, I think, that we go to) and a look in the fossil ships/museums.

meglet Thu 30-Oct-14 21:38:53

....Update.....

We went to Charmouth today and had a lovely time on the fossil hunt smile.

The heritage centre start with a family friendly 20 min chat on what to look for and what not to do. They even gave us a 5 min toilet / snack stop before we headed off down the beach. The group leaders have geological hammers so you don't need your own kit. I don't think many people found big fossils, but we all found a few little bits.

Suggestions - Get your kids to take a small bag to keep their haul in. And rummaging through rocks, pebbles and clay-y sand trashes your nails, I had to set to work with a nail brush and emery board when we got home.

spababe Fri 31-Oct-14 07:32:05

Glad you had a good time and that you came back to say.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in