Talk

Advanced search

What percentage in test papers is 'safe'?

(5 Posts)
Leicesterpiggott Fri 04-May-18 13:18:34

Hi,
DD is hoping to go to our highly Competitive Grammar. I'm getting hold of test papers for her which she is doing weekly. She's getting between 66-85% in them. But when I found out the pass mark for the exams it's around 355. How does that compare with the percentages pls? Do you think she's doing well enough to pass? Thanks
G

Leicesterpiggott Fri 04-May-18 13:19:39

Sorry, sent too soon!

Going to try and get her a tutor over the summer to help with the final few weeks. Is there anything else you'd advise?

Thanks!

SilverViking Fri 04-May-18 13:27:43

Loads of sample papers as most questions have a similarity, and it will get their minds used to doing these types of questions. Make it fun and not stressful. Concentrate in accuracy first, then build up the speed.

If parent/ child relationship is becoming difficult because of the prep work, move to using a tutor quickly. The tutor will be more effective if they are working with your child for a longer period.

Leicesterpiggott Fri 04-May-18 13:33:54

That's great advice thanks. Have you been through this? Do you reckon those percentages are enough to pass?

pacer142 Wed 13-Jun-18 13:09:47

Pass percentages vary enormously between schools/areas. At my son's school, local tutors were saying that around 75% averaged over all 3 papers should normally be enough, but it's not particularly over-subscribed - usually around 350 applicants for 180 places. I've heard horror stories of 95% plus being needed in some super-selective areas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: