Talk

Advanced search

Furlough and supply teaching?

(7 Posts)
NamechangeHar41 Mon 27-Apr-20 15:49:46

What are the rules for supply teachers and furlough? I did 2 days supply every week from October to February and then took a break (young kids, wanted to See what supply was like). My intention was to start doing it again after Easter. I have now zero money coming in. Can’t get a reply from my agency. What are my options please? I stupidly gave my notice in July whilst still on maternity so have to pay back my maternity pay too.

OP’s posts: |
physicskate Mon 27-Apr-20 20:03:34

When you say 'took a break', what was your employment status during that time?

Howaboutanewname Mon 27-Apr-20 20:29:20

There are a number of supply groups on Facebook who are working on this issue. Worth joining.

NamechangeHar41 Mon 27-Apr-20 21:27:42

When you say 'took a break', what was your employment status during that time?

I told the supply agency I didn’t have childcare - I have emails to prove this and said I will start again after Easter.

OP’s posts: |
physicskate Mon 27-Apr-20 22:42:26

So were you an employee during that time?

StaffAssociationRepresentative Mon 27-Apr-20 22:49:22

Did you have a confirmed contract at a particular school with the agency?

At my old school we used to get supply in and not confirm a time period until they had been in a couple of days. We took a fairly hire and fire approach to supply staff

I think exam invigilators have the same problem. There are some TES threads you should look at

StaffAssociationRepresentative Mon 27-Apr-20 22:53:00

You may find that they say that you were not on the books because you said you were not available until after Easter. Therefore they did not have a school contract for you.

Supply is a bit like my old IT contracting no real security of tenure which is the trade off for flexibility

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in