Talk

Advanced search

Would you use an estate agents if they were one of your pupils' parents?

(14 Posts)
PurplePhotoFrame Sun 06-May-18 15:36:24

Was idly having a look in the window and noticed one of the mothers sitting at the desk, obviously working.

My heart sunk because we are looking at moving shock

Am I being a bit daft?

OP’s posts: |
Stopthatalreadyok Sun 06-May-18 15:47:36

I used a pupil's father for some building work once, he did it terribly and I felt like I couldn't say anything. So it can be awkward!

spanieleyes Sun 06-May-18 16:09:05

My dentist is a parent of a child at the school I am at.
Thankfully the pupil has never been in trouble, I don't think I could face a tooth extraction by an irate parent!

PurplePhotoFrame Sun 06-May-18 16:30:55

I don't think I could face a tooth extraction by an irate parent!

grin

DH was a bit perplexed but I really don't like the idea of it. The building work going wrong made me cringe.

OP’s posts: |
HolidayHelpPlease Sun 06-May-18 23:31:06

I am still traumatised that one of my ex pupils mothers was my gynaecologist’s receptionist when I taught her.
Making small talk with her as I signed in for some pretty horrible procedures just made the whole thing more awkward!
Use another estate agent!

MaisyPops Sun 06-May-18 23:37:33

It wouldn't bother me if they were nice, but then I'm involved in quite a few community groups so see students and parents outside of school quite a bit. I'd probably still use the estate agent but request a different agent looking after my file.

If they are a known PITA then go elsrwhere.

penguinsandpanda Sun 06-May-18 23:44:08

It wouldn't bother me - I had a similar hospital experience with a receptionist.

I've being seeing hospital for gynae and DS 11 helpfully suggested I should see one of his friends' Dads who is a doctor instead grin

SimonBridges Sun 06-May-18 23:48:29

A friend of mine had to travel an hour each way to an ivf clinic as a parent was the consultant at the closer one!

cdtaylornats Mon 07-May-18 14:13:07

My parents owned a shop when I was at school. If my teachers hadn't used the shop it would have meant them going to the next village.

physicskate Mon 07-May-18 20:19:12

I had to go to a gp at my practice about wrs. And infertility. He was a parent. I'm not going to lie: it was awful. And I didn't feel I could be truly honest about my fragile mental state...

RainbowFairiesHaveNoPlot Wed 09-May-18 11:30:22

My GP at one point was the parent of a child in my class... and like someone else I had to go about work related stress (I'm prone to depression anyway). The consultation was interesting with him finally realising I taught his daughter and a source of the stress was the fact I was going to be losing my job. Him being really really upset and peed off about this cos his daughter loved being taught by me was actually a really nice morale boost really.

He was utterly utterly professional about it though!

borntobequiet Thu 10-May-18 21:42:26

The best EA I ever had was a parent of one of my students. Sold in two weeks, thought it would take ages (busy road, no parking whatsoever, weird layout).

eromdap Fri 11-May-18 20:43:19

We bought our house from a pupil’s parents, some of her and her sister’s friends and parents know the house, outside and in!

Vangoghsear Fri 11-May-18 22:17:54

Not if I could avoid it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in