Advanced search

Trained in England can I find a job in Scotland?

(11 Posts)
Keeyaw Sat 21-Apr-18 21:09:02

DH is in the forces and I know relatively soon we will need to relocate to Scotland.

Has anyone found a teaching post in Scotland and how easy was it to get to grips with the different system? I've been looking at the child protection groups etc you need to join and also read something about a probationary period, is this like a second NQT year?

Any advice would be welcome!

OP’s posts: |
cdtaylornats Sat 21-Apr-18 22:23:44

The details of what you need to register

Edinburghgirlie Sun 22-Apr-18 11:11:20

Are you primary or secondary? Where is it you are heading to? I m a teacher and have heard varying things about registering with GTCS- some found it straightforward and others not. I think it depends on your original qualifications.

Keeyaw Sun 22-Apr-18 13:52:59

Secondary science teacher, somewhere in the Glasgow area.

OP’s posts: |
Edinburghgirlie Sun 22-Apr-18 15:24:59

There’s a real shortage of science teachers in some areas so hopefully finding a job shouldn’t be too hard once you’ve registered with GTCS.

stargirl1701 Sun 22-Apr-18 16:03:30

You need to speak to the GTC(S) who will advise on your qualifications and probationary period. Yes, it is similar to NQT. It also paid at the probationary rate. You cannot be employed in the state sector without GTC registration.

SimonBridges Sun 22-Apr-18 16:06:51

It depends.
If you only have QTS but not a PGCE then you won’t be able to teach straight away. I think you have to get an additional qualification.

fuckweasel Sun 22-Apr-18 17:26:40

Your first step is to get registered with the GTCS as you cannot be employed in a teaching post without registration. As a science teacher, you can register in Biology, Chemistry or Physics depending on the content of your degree. Dual registration is also possible, again depending on your degree. Teaching experience is not taken into account when registering in a subject, only degree level study. Often this is straightforward but may not be; a degree transcript is necessary to calculate the number of SCQF points at the appropriate level of the subject you want to register in.

If you do not have a PGCE (ie did a GTP or SCITT) then matters are more complicated but now you can request provisional (conditional) registration and have to top up with an ITT qualification in a set time period. This is a recent change in the GTCS requirements.

As for probation, you may not have to do the full requirement as previous teaching experience can be offset against this. Again, this depends on whether the teaching experience is directly relevant to the subject you want to be registered in.

You will also require a PVG (similar to a DBS) but this is applied for after you apply for registration.

Myjobscotland is probably the place to look for teaching positions.

Feel free to PM me any questions or ask here. I would get the ball rolling as soon as possible as it can take some months for registration to go through.

Keeyaw Sun 22-Apr-18 22:22:56

Thank you for the information, I will look into registering.

OP’s posts: |
NewToCats Sat 28-Apr-18 19:46:44

Total nightmare registering, but just grit your teeth and plough through the hoops.

It is worth registering asap. It can take months and months to go through.

JayT87 Sat 09-Jun-18 20:36:04

Hey you might find it easier to get into teaching with specialist schools, such as special needs or EBD. There are vast in the commuting area of glasgow. I believe spark of genius are looking for teachers at the moment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in