Talk

Advanced search

Reference from head teacher

(4 Posts)
bearleftmonkeyright Sat 05-Apr-14 17:20:25

Hi, need some advice. I am currently on the Cache course Supporting teaching and learning in schools. (Level three). I work at the school on a voluntary placement for two mornings and one afternoon as part of my course. I am also a Midday, which I have been employed as for nearly two years. I want to start applying for TA positions in other schools. Would it be acceptable to ask the head for a reference before I start applying? Would schools usually ask for a reference before considering interviewing you? I have one further reference contact which is the manager of our local playgroup where I parent volunteered and was a committee member and treasurer, so they are the two referees I would be using.

toomuchicecream Sat 05-Apr-14 17:49:14

Teaching is strange - completely normal to ask for references before interview and to tell current HT when you apply for a new job. In fact my first HT was pissed off because a colleague didn't tell him she'd applied for something, not pissed off because she'd applied elsewhere.

AgadorSpartacus Sat 05-Apr-14 17:53:43

Yes absolutely normal. In fact probably expected.

I did that course last year and have been in employment since September. I asked my HT and my course tutor for references.

Good luck.

bearleftmonkeyright Sat 05-Apr-14 18:17:15

Thanks for messages. I will speak to head next week. The protocol is clearly very different to how things are done in industry. I feel a bit clearer as to how to proceed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now