Talk

Advanced search

Allergy free cats?!

(24 Posts)
Ladybythebeach Sat 21-Nov-20 19:06:39

Good evening,

Our family would love to get a cat (me, husband and two boys) but myself and my oldest are allergic to cats sadly but I think there are some breeds that might be a bit more suitable? Would to know of any!

We're in south Dorset and happy to travel a little bit to collect a cat but I have no clue where to start looking. I appreciate as we might have to look for a specific breed we will be a bit more limited but I'm more than happy to have a rescue/older cat if that was a possibility.

I'll be hugely grateful for any advice/knowledge.

OP’s posts: |
Ladybythebeach Sat 21-Nov-20 19:13:32

* would love to know of any.

Slayer12 Sat 21-Nov-20 19:16:31

We have a Siberian Forest Cat. We got this breed because it is good with people who have allergies.
My husband has cat allergies and asthma. He does have a reaction to the cat but not as strong as with other breeds.
My son has cat allergies (no asthma) and doesn’t have any problems with her.
I live in Canada, not sure where you should look in your area for breeders

Slayer12 Sat 21-Nov-20 19:17:26

Didn’t mean to add the picture without the cat.

Reclinehard Sat 21-Nov-20 19:20:29

So many questions @slayer12

Slayer12 Sat 21-Nov-20 19:26:30

Lol. My son is going to kill me. I’m trying to get it removed

Ladybythebeach Sat 21-Nov-20 19:44:51

What a gorgeous cat slayer12!!

Thank you for sharing.

Ladybythebeach Sat 21-Nov-20 19:45:20

@Slayer12

Whoops.

WirKindervomBahnhofZoo Sat 21-Nov-20 20:18:33

Russian Blues are good for this

chocolatespiders Sat 21-Nov-20 22:18:23

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/4079597-dilemma-with-kitten

Ladybythebeach Sun 22-Nov-20 10:07:00

Thanks @chocolatespiders

Will have a proper read of that link later but looks helpful.

Cuckoochime Sun 22-Nov-20 10:30:29

We had this problem- when I married my husband was very allergic to my existing cat, who I would not ever have rehomed. She reached a grand old age, but we had a difficult decision about whether to get a new cat.
We were advisd the siamese type breeds are better for those with allergies- so we proceeded (photo attached). My husband says she is tons better that our previous cat, but not perfect if you are very allergic.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 22-Nov-20 14:47:52

Most people are allergic to a particular protein in cat saliva, Siberian cats do not produce this particular protein. Some other individual cats regardless of breed to not produce thus protein, but there is not a reliable test.
If however, you are allergic to cat dander you will be allergic to Siberian cats.
A picture of my Siberian to show how beautiful they are.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 22-Nov-20 14:48:48

Oh yes there is a Siberian cat breeder in Henley, but she doesn't have many litters.

Lisa78Lemon Sun 22-Nov-20 14:52:15

They recently brought out goods you can feed your cat that make it less allergenic e.g. Purina Proplan Live Clear

Lisa78Lemon Sun 22-Nov-20 14:52:27

Ugh *foods not goods

pinkbalconyrailing Sun 22-Nov-20 14:57:53

as someone who is severly allergic to cats please don't
it's miserable
and unfair on the cat when you have to rehome it soon after.

sofiathe2nd Sun 22-Nov-20 15:03:36

I’m severely allergic to cats but my husband was desperate for one. We now (after a number of allergy sittings with breeders) have a gorgeous Siberian cat. I reacted mildly to her for a few weeks but now I don’t at all.

We were in contact with a breeder in the new forest but ended up getting ours elsewhere

Pebble21uk Sun 22-Nov-20 15:24:50

I'm highly allergic to cats and have asthma. We did a lot of research before getting our cat - a Bengal crossbreed. Bengal's don't produce the protein mentioned upthread.

I very, very occasionally get a reaction to him if I've been petting him and then rub my eyes or face, but it's really once in a blue moon. I was really surprised as we had a cat when I growing up that I became very allergic too - rashes, streaming eyes etc.
Ours sleeps on our bed and it's absolutely fine! One word of warning about Bengal's though (even crosses) they are very high- energy. He's an outdoor cat a lot of the time and needs lots of stimulation and play when the weather is bad!
We were sorry not to be able to get a rescue cat (were on the shelter list for a Siamese) but we were able to go and see what my reaction was to him before we committed. We were also pleased he was a crossbread as far less likely to get stolen!

Ladybythebeach Sun 22-Nov-20 15:37:50

Thanks @WirKindervomBahnhofZoo

First google reveals that they're pretty pricey but they look beautiful!

Ladybythebeach Sun 22-Nov-20 15:38:45

Super cute @Cuckoochime!

We're not very allergic so definitely worth a look - thanks very much.

Ladybythebeach Sun 22-Nov-20 15:39:46

@Lonecatwithkitten gorgeous cat!! Another breed to look into - thanks very much.

Ladybythebeach Sun 22-Nov-20 15:40:21

That's really interesting @Lisa78Lemon, definitely worth looking into.

Ladybythebeach Sun 22-Nov-20 15:42:16

@pinkbalconyrailing

Don't worry - I wouldn't take on a cat without doing my research and making sure it was right for us. It's not my intention to get a cat on a whim and then just get rid of it if it doesn't suit.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in