Talk

Advanced search

Overweight 9 yr old Siamese- what food?

(12 Posts)
carriewintermeadow Fri 09-Mar-18 02:45:29

My Siamese is a kg overweight. I've 2 other cats and he hoovers up any left over food! He doesn't get enough exercise because he doesn't go out - we live in a city. He sleeps all day, plays a bit at night but not as much as he used to when he was younger.

He's got a sensitive tum so I feed him Applaws dry and he pinches a little Butchers classic from the other two. If he's hungry he shouts at me - of course, he's a Siamese!
I know he's spoilt, he's my baby blush I can't bear to say no to him. He doesn't have treats of any kind.

Any suggestions of high quality diet food for him?

OP’s posts: |
RickOShay Sat 10-Mar-18 21:17:18

What about raw? I have two porky Burmese, it’s just about ok as they can go outside, but they love bite my ankles if I don’t feed them as soon as they ask grin

carriewintermeadow Sat 10-Mar-18 21:21:50

I thought about that but my freezer and fridge are tiny. I can't think of a way of making it work.

Yes he'll bite me too eventually. I've tried playing with him instead but he doesn't want to .. he genuinely wants to eat.

Beamur Sat 10-Mar-18 21:29:02

No one will understand the demanding nature of orientals if they don't have one.
We give ours prawns, ham, meat, etc as 'treats' pretty much on demand..(he is quite svelte though)
More play? Activity is very helpful in managing weight. Our cats do go outside, less so at the moment with the weather, but run around a lot indoors.

JsOtherHalf Sat 10-Mar-18 21:39:51

Could you get microchip operated feeders?
www.amazon.co.uk/SureFeed-5060180391324-Microchip-Pet-Feeder/dp/B00O0UIPTY/ref=pd_sim_199_1?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=mumsnetforum-21&refRID=57WNTX2KAFPCQ4VXPK2E

RickOShay Sat 10-Mar-18 21:47:50

Good idea about ham. What about something like mince? squashed up it shouldn’t take up too much space.
Is he fairly playful?
dabird was good for a while, but they did break it in the end.

carriewintermeadow Sat 10-Mar-18 22:10:54

He's not as playful as he used to be now he's 9. We had a da bird but he kept breaking it straight away confused We have other toys though. But when he wants to eat he really wants to eat .. Not play. If i give him plain mince what else will he need for a complete diet?

carriewintermeadow Sat 10-Mar-18 22:11:41

I really can't afford that micro chip feeder for three cats.

RickOShay Sat 10-Mar-18 22:15:51

That might be enough, I’m not sure.
Perhaps a few biscuits?
Or you can get prepackaged frozen nuggets which don’t look very big, just google raw diet for cats.
What about little balls? Mine love playing with those.

carriewintermeadow Sat 10-Mar-18 22:18:20

We have so many cat toys grin .. balls, mice, crinkle tunnel, things on string ... he used to go out before I moved when we lived in the country and had a garden, he got more exercise then.

RickOShay Sat 10-Mar-18 22:40:10

They are high maintenance catsgrin

carriewintermeadow Sun 11-Mar-18 00:32:30

Yes!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in