Talk

Advanced search

Cat needs to lose weight . Help!

(11 Posts)
Comps83 Mon 05-Mar-18 22:34:02

Ok
So I have 2 sisters. They are very different in appearance .
They have the same life style , eat the same amount of food .
One is overweight and one is very light but the vet says she is perfect weight and other cat needs to be more like her but what can I do when they eat the exact same food?

OP’s posts: |
thewhitechapelfatberg Mon 05-Mar-18 22:36:33

Are you sure the fat cat isn’t stealing her sister’s food (I have to feed mine in separate rooms and pick up any leftovers). Or maybe visiting a neighbour for treats?
Is her slim sister getting more exercise than her?

Comps83 Mon 05-Mar-18 22:39:54

No. The vet asked that. The slim cat is the dominant one and will push the fat one away to eat her food when she’s eaten her portion
I really think it’s just down to genetics
They are both house cats

Comps83 Mon 05-Mar-18 22:41:17

She’s always been heavier . She’s always been solid even when they were tiny. I think they are just built differently but vet mentioned all the health risks if she doesn’t lose weight.

Comps83 Mon 05-Mar-18 22:42:15

I mean she’s not enormous . You can’t tell she’s a lot bigger until you pick them both up and feel the weight difference

Comps83 Mon 05-Mar-18 22:44:21

Fat cat on right

thewhitechapelfatberg Mon 05-Mar-18 23:39:24

She’s hardly obese! Keep doing what you’re doing and don’t worry about her, IMO. As you say, some cats are built heavier, just like some humans.

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 06-Mar-18 11:06:33

My vet told me my cat was overweight 18 months ago and needed to lose about a kilo. A year later she was about 20g heavier. At that point he decided that she was at the weight she should be and not to worry about it.

Your cats are lovely. Just leave her be.

YetAnotherSpartacus Tue 06-Mar-18 11:18:02

I thought the vet was talking about your sisters smile!

They both look beautiful.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 06-Mar-18 13:36:03

I've got the same problem. One is a chunk. The other is skin and bone. Micro chip feeders don't work for my two. Not really sure what else to do. Mine are both house cats. I don't think there is a greed issue. They've never been food orientated.

ifonly4 Tue 06-Mar-18 14:59:46

How old are they? Have you got a rough idea how much they each eat?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in