Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cats protection league

(36 Posts)
DancesWithOtters Sun 12-Nov-17 18:52:45

I've heard a few people speak of CPL very unfavourably recently.

One person was very against me donating money to them.

I can't figure out why this is from doing online searches.

Does anyone know why people think negatively of them?

I donate to several animal charities and I am very confused about why people may be against donating to them.

NovemberWitch Sun 12-Nov-17 19:01:37

Don’t know, I like them and they were lovely with us.

ferrier Sun 12-Nov-17 19:04:16

Some of them seem to have a vested interest in not rehoming cats.

DancesWithOtters Sun 12-Nov-17 19:07:00

By not rehoming do you mean too fussy about who they regime to?

I honestly have no experience of them, but we have regimes easily from one of their approved centres.

DancesWithOtters Sun 12-Nov-17 19:09:08

*rehome

thecatneuterer Sun 12-Nov-17 19:23:35

In my opinion there are some issues with them, but they at least will make an attempt to deal with feral cats and other rescue which none of the other national charities will.

The issues seem to be in the funding mainly. So there is a big central organisation with lots of money, but all the regional branches have to raise their own funding and are all purely volunteer run with little or no central coordination or training. Anyone who wants to volunteer (and I know as this is how I started out) is basically issued with an automatic trap and told to get on with it. Trapping is a very skilled job (although I admit you wouldn't think it) and a hell of a lot of training and mentoring is needed. Also automatic traps are not suitable for any job where there is more than one cat and using them can cause more problems than they solve. But at least they are trying, which is more than the RSPCA does, and it's the only national charity that at least tries to deal with feral colonies, even though they could do it much better and the branches could be better funded.

Also with the branches being left so much to their own devices, without training or any sort of supervision it would seem, it means that particular branches, if run by oddballs or difficult people, can run the risk of bringing the whole organisation into disrepute. Which is maybe what has happened in the case of the people you have spoken to.

I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from donating. I think there are other charities (Celia Hammonds in London, Freshfields in Liverpool and Wales, and I'm sure many more I'm unaware of) that make better use of donated money, but CP certainly isn't a bad charity.

Vinorosso74 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:23:46

I volunteer at one of the CP adoption centres and I have no idea why! The staff work bloody hard to match humans and cats, they have started getting families in with children to assess the suitability of cats with children (it's unknown with some) to help with rehoming. The cats are well cared for. They work with other charities to get cats rehomed.
I can only assume because it's a large charity? People have got aggressive with staff if they say there is no room for any cats, some people think they can just rock up and take a cat (Luckily not many) with no questions. These people will then be negative.

thecatneuterer Sun 12-Nov-17 19:27:33

Ah yes, anyone who has ever been refused a cat by a charity will always speak badly of them. I think some have over zealous rules about who they will and won't home to, but generally speaking the reasons are valid.

thecatneuterer Sun 12-Nov-17 19:35:18

I can't hear the words CPL without thinking about this really funny poem they commissioned:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSsLO0-CdM

DancesWithOtters Sun 12-Nov-17 19:38:26

Thank you for your replies guys, really interesting to hear.

I am very ignorant but what is an automatic trap?

I sponsor a pen at CPL and donate to RSPCA, PDSA and Woodgreen shelters but I don't know much of anything regarding their politics.

Keep the comments coming.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 12-Nov-17 19:41:20

We adopted a cat from CPL and they were excellent in finding the right cat for our circumstances and displaying a common sense attitude to adoption rather than some charities who seem unrealistic in their expectations of potential adopters. With any big charities I would always make sure to donate the money to the local branch rather than the central organisation as it is then more likely to be spent on helping the intended recipients than paying for wages/TV advertising etc.

crazycatgal Sun 12-Nov-17 19:50:29

Two of my cats are from the Cats Protection, we donate to them every month. I don’t know why people would have a problem with them.

CatchingBabies Sun 12-Nov-17 19:54:01

Never had a problem with CPL, the RSPCA on the other hand! You may as well pay your donation straight to the personal account of the head guy for all the good it does the animals!

Ollivander84 Sun 12-Nov-17 20:16:44

My cat in a million is from CPL smile they cared for him twice by trapping and neutering and again when he needed to come off the streets and find a home

Want2beme Sun 12-Nov-17 21:02:46

A long time ago now, I asked CPL about adopting from them, but they wouldn't entertain me. Same with the RSPCA. I adopted from an independent cat rescuer in the end. I also asked them for assistance with two neglected cats in my neighbourhood and they wouldn't help. I was surprised at their lack of assistance, but I didn't think badly of them. They must have had good reason.

DancesWithOtters Sun 12-Nov-17 21:08:07

@Want2beme did they give you a reason?

Really seems to be a huge difference on a centre to centre basis.

Want2beme Sun 12-Nov-17 22:14:54

DancesWithOtters with regards to adopting, both CPL & RSPCA said that they wouldn't let anyone working full time adopt from them - fair enough, but a good home is a good home. CPL wouldn't help out with the 2 neglected cats because said they wouldn't be able to find homes for them. RSPCA told me that as I'd started to take care of them & was feeding them for longer than 48 hours, they were automatically considered to be mine in the eyes of the law & therefore, they couldn't help to find them homes. So there you go. The few times I called RSPCA for help with strays, they always said that they couldn't help. I wouldn't bother calling them ever again. All of my cats over the years have been from the streets , so it's not as if I haven't bothered giving homes to little strays.

Ollivander84 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:15:55

How odd. Definitely must be different rules as I was working FT when I adopted

winterstail Sun 12-Nov-17 22:18:19

Our lovely cats came from warrington CPL and they had no issues with us working full time.

Want2beme Sun 12-Nov-17 22:21:18

Ollivander84 I was surprised too. But it didn't take me long to find my first cat via a lovely cat lady, whose house was full of rescued cats. My first cat was a beautiful tortie, who sadly died very young.

Hassled Sun 12-Nov-17 22:26:07

I've had 2 cats from CPL - they were very very thorough in their home-check, to the point that I felt a bit unsettled and judged and uncomfortable at the time, but in hindsight that was a good thing. Maybe that level of thoroughness has made people uneasy? It's hard - on the one hand it felt intrusive and like I had to really prove myself, but on the other hand they quite rightly needed to be damn sure I could care for cats.

GherkinSnatch Sun 12-Nov-17 22:26:30

I’ve adopted from the CPL and once we got past the initial screening we were pretty much able to go and be chosen by GherkinCat within the week. They gave us a choice of 4-5 cats who they thought would suit our circumstances. Our branch really make an effort to get to know their cats and match them where they’ll be happy - one of my friends complained about them because they wouldn’t give her a specific (very striking breed) young cat because she had a dog and young children, and this particular cat didn’t respond well to young children or dogs. But that was her issue not the COLs - they want to reduce the likelihood of a car ending back up in a rescue centre.

MycatsaPirate Sun 12-Nov-17 22:27:30

we have five cats, all rescues. One came from CPL, one from a local animal sanctuary and one from the RSPCA. One was a direct homing from a friend and one was a cat which was just unwanted by a neighbour so we ended up with him.

CPL have been fantastic with helping with costs for the last cat. He had to have a series of blood tests and they organised getting the chip into our name too.

We currently have a stray living with us, she was living under a shed, she's bloody tiny and not chipped or neutered so they will sort out spaying her once she has put on a bit of weight but meantime she is safe and warm. And won't get pregnant in this house. They will also do a direct homing from here so she doesn't need to go into the cattery.

They really have been so helpful to us, we have a stray Tom which visits and one of the volunteers lives locally and she tries desperately to catch him to scan but he is a vicious sod!

If you don't want to donate money, then try gifting through items to an animal charity. Food, scratching posts etc. They are always desperate for any donations.

Want2beme Sun 12-Nov-17 22:28:16

Here's my tired girl, who just wants to go to bed. I found her in the road at 4 wks of age. It was touch & go, but she pulled through & is my big scaredy cat baby.

Ollivander84 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:40:56

I only had a telephone check, no home check visit. TBF they weren't likely to home mine quickly or with anyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now