Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kitten suckling on dog

(16 Posts)
Fiona1984 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:21:20

We have a 9 week old kitten. When he's tired he likes to try and nurse on the (male) dog. Cat will find one of his nipples and get stuck in. The dog pulls a funny face but doesn't seem to mind too much. He was even licking the kitten while he was doing it earlier.
It's really cute, but I don't know if I should stop the kitten from doing it. I've been distracting him with some food, but I don't want to over feed him lol.

retirednow Fri 20-Oct-17 20:33:31

no. I would leave the kitten to suckle if the dog doesn't mind. the kitten doesn't know it's a dog or a male and it's just showing normal suckling behaviour. it sounds really lovely, if it bothers you and it is only happening when the kitten is tired then I guess you could just pick it up and stoke it instead, put it in its bed. let's hope they remain the best of friends. do post a pic if you have one.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:43:57

What harm can it do? It gives him comfort.

AuntyElle Fri 20-Oct-17 20:45:49

Oh please post a photo! smile

Fiona1984 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:51:10

The kitten does cuddle up with me but when he spots the dog at the other end of the sofa he's off burrowing under his belly.

DanHumphreyIsA Fri 20-Oct-17 20:53:49

Oh my, that sounds like the sweetest thing.
Yes photo is required so we can give you proper advice grin

retirednow Fri 20-Oct-17 20:55:07

Maybe you should buy yourself a dog themed onesie!

SleepFreeZone Fri 20-Oct-17 20:55:59

This has reminded me that I had kittens as a teenager that used to suckle my ear lobes. I thought it was exceptionally cute and used to encourage it 😳

nodogsinthebedroom Fri 20-Oct-17 20:56:02

What age did the leave his mum?

In any case - please give us a photo!

nodogsinthebedroom Fri 20-Oct-17 20:56:30

*the kitten

Ewanwhosearmy Fri 20-Oct-17 20:57:50

We had a dog/kitten combo that did this. Cat grew up believing he was a dog. They got on really well though.

ownedbySWD Fri 20-Oct-17 20:58:52

Sounds cute! We have a mother daughter pair of cats and every so often the daughter would suckle on mum until she was 7 months old or so.

CloudPerson Fri 20-Oct-17 20:59:17

A few years ago we got two kittens, they suckled on the dog, they were fine. The vet wasn't terribly keen but we had no way of separating them and were assured (on MN I think) that they would soon stop.
Eight years on, both cats still regularly feed from the dog!
Both are very healthy, haven't been ill, so I can only assume it's not doing them any harm!

Ketzele Fri 20-Oct-17 21:00:23

I just wrote a long post about my big old tomcat's suckling behaviour. He has just sat on the laptop and deleted the lot. So I'll just say: I keep covered up when he's in a cuddly mood.

PoohBearsHole Fri 20-Oct-17 21:00:29

female dog started lactating when ours did it 😳. It stopped after a while though.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 21-Oct-17 13:42:26

I just wrote a long post about my big old tomcat's suckling behaviour. He has just sat on the laptop and deleted the lot. So I'll just say: I keep covered up when he's in a cuddly mood

Deliberately deleted the evidence you mean! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now