Talk

Advanced search

Cat with thyroid issues now kidneys

(12 Posts)
EnlightenedOwl Sat 04-Feb-17 14:32:33

Just that really. He's 15. Been on thyroid meds for 12 months which are doing their job but he's continuing to lose weight. Latest bloods indicative of stage 2 renal failure. Got to get a wee sample off him and also he needs his blood pressure testing because if kidneys are failing he's at risk of high blood pressure with all that brings. He's old his system is failing but I feel quite sad about it.

cozietoesie Sat 04-Feb-17 14:36:05

Of course. My own darling Twoago had serious renal problems at a couple of years younger than your lad. It's very difficult.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 04-Feb-17 14:37:47

To get one to this age is good so I shouldn't feel rubbish about it but you do, don't you? Being realistic if his blood pressure is high and he's having pills for that then whatever he has to have for the kidneys plus the thyroid meds well it all sounds a bit unsustainable to me is my gut feeling.

cozietoesie Sat 04-Feb-17 14:39:42

Yes. You do feel bad. It's the prospect of loss that hits worst in my experience.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 04-Feb-17 14:41:15

I've been so good this morning and so practical and now I've sat down I'm thinking oh bugger this doesn't sound very good...

cozietoesie Sat 04-Feb-17 14:45:32

Is he very thin? And how is he behaving?

EnlightenedOwl Sat 04-Feb-17 14:48:26

He is thin. He stablised out on the thyroid meds but then began to drop again (this is clearly due to the kidney disease as thyroid controlled now). Weighed in at 3.67 today (from (kg) 3.88 down to 3.77 now 3.67) Was a 6kg cat in his prime!!! Behaviour wise, slowed down a lot. Real "little old man" and to be honest quite grumpy at times!.

lljkk Sat 04-Feb-17 15:21:25

quite grumpy doesn't sound like he has good quality of life. Sorry. xx flowers

cozietoesie Sat 04-Feb-17 15:36:50

Kidney failure can be slow and quite inexorable. I'd be careful about your own motivations here - it's all about him now. What has your vet said?

EnlightenedOwl Sat 04-Feb-17 15:39:28

Haven't got a plan yet.. Going to get his blood pressure checked again this week and get a urine test then back to vet to chat through what happens next.

cozietoesie Sat 04-Feb-17 15:49:55

Listen to your vet, then.

GRW Sat 04-Feb-17 17:08:25

My old lady is 19 now and has been on meds for hyperthyroidism for nearly 3 years, and has kidney failure now too diagnosed about 9 months ago. She was 5.6 kg as a young cat and is now 3.1kg. But she still eats well and seems happy even though her eyesight isn't very good now. Her latest blood test showed her kidney function hasn't got any worse. She has survived for a lot longer than I thought she would, so I hope your boy will be with you for a bit longer too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now