Talk

Advanced search

Pooing near the litter tray

(17 Posts)
MissPricklePants Fri 19-Aug-16 01:46:15

My 9 month old kitten is not using the litter tray for poos! She will wee in it fine. I have another cat but have 3 trays between them. Kitten will poo near the tray (in the same room at least!) any suggestions on encouraging her to use litter trays?! She's spayed, is healthy overall and totally adorable!

MissPricklePants Fri 19-Aug-16 09:58:44

Anybody?

cozietoesie Fri 19-Aug-16 11:25:27

Thinking here. Have you mentioned it to the vet?

How old is the other cat by the way?

MissPricklePants Fri 19-Aug-16 13:06:52

Mentioned it to the vet, who suggested change litter etc. Which I've done and then offered 1 tray with new litter and the others with the usual stuff. My other cat is 3. She's also spayed and uses the trays no problem. Kitten is due to be wormed, could that help?

cozietoesie Fri 19-Aug-16 14:51:27

Hmm. Has she ever used the tray for poos or has this been her thing since she came to live with you?

MissPricklePants Fri 19-Aug-16 15:41:28

I've had her 5 months, and was told she was litter trained but she hasn't used the tray properly with me. I've tried lots of tips from the internet, no joy yet!

MsKite Fri 19-Aug-16 15:43:51

Have you tried having 2 trays? She might want one for wees and one for poos

MissPricklePants Fri 19-Aug-16 15:52:28

I have 3 trays, she wees in all of them and poos at the side of them!

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 20-Aug-16 02:05:36

The only suggestion I have is to move her if you notice her about to do her business outside of the tray, and to put the poo into the tray rather than disposing of it immediately.

InformalRoman Sat 20-Aug-16 13:57:35

Does she ever poo outside? If she does, you could try putting earth in the litter tray.

Or you could try giving the litter tray a spray of Feliway?

cozietoesie Sat 20-Aug-16 14:02:35

It sounds to me as if she wasn't full or properly trained by her mother, then. You may have to take a hand here. Is her pee cleared directly she does it ?

cozietoesie Sat 20-Aug-16 14:02:52

fully

MissPricklePants Mon 22-Aug-16 00:11:07

She's not fully in the tray when weeing, so sometimes it goes on the floor. It's beginning to get me down as it's every time I go in the bathroom there's wee/poo. Willing to do what I can to sort it though, any advice in training her?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 22-Aug-16 00:19:24

I'd try a bigger deeper tray, I know my old boy used to like to get in and back up into a corner meaning often he'd back out of the tray, although his front feet would still be in the tray

also might be worth trying a smaller tray INSIDE a deeper tray, then at least any pee goes into the "overflow" tray.

or maybe an enclosed tray? I have never tried one of those though.

MissPricklePants Mon 22-Aug-16 00:58:01

I'll try that, anything will be better than it all over the floor!!

InformalRoman Mon 22-Aug-16 09:38:44

I have Booda Dome litter tray (like this one), which works well for a cat that likes peeing against the side of the tray.

cloudlessskies Tue 23-Aug-16 17:59:17

Sounds like she doesn't know what she is doing. Watch her and place her fully in the tray when she looks like she wants to go. Then fuss her when she does well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now