Talk

Advanced search

Cat limping since Thursday, no real diagnosis.

(24 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Jan-15 09:41:28

He's limping heavily & is very tense in the leg but no sign of infection & the vet can't find anything wrong with the joints or the paw. One claw was scuffed.

He's had an antibiotic injection, a long lasting painkiller jab & is on loxicam but he's still limping.

His appetite is unaffected & he's bright as a button.

cozietoesie Sun 11-Jan-15 09:46:48

Poor ASBOCat - and he's not one to malinger either. I'm wondering (the scuff) whether he could have had a slight run in with a 4x4 or something. What tests did the vet do, Fluffy ?

RubbishMantra Sun 11-Jan-15 09:49:22

I remember you posting that photo of him sitting in an odd way a while back. Is it the same leg?

cozietoesie Sun 11-Jan-15 09:56:35

I'd forgotten that one - good point.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Jan-15 10:06:53

Yes, same leg.

The vet palpated the leg & paw and moved it through its full range of motion which he wasn't really bothered by. She went through his fur looking for bite wounds but couldn't find any, she said his fur was disturbed in two places like he'd had a cat bite.

The tip of one claw was scuffed.

The only time he got even slightly distressed was when she took his temperature. He is limping better today than Thursday.

I have nicknamed him limpy.

RubbishMantra Sun 11-Jan-15 10:37:20

Poor LimpyFluffyASBOCat.

I'd be proper on their (the vet's) case as to whether it could be connected to that previous injury.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Jan-15 13:32:44

The odd thing is that he can jump on the worktop, use the tray normally & stretch up to use his scratch post.

It's just walking he struggles with.

cozietoesie Sun 11-Jan-15 13:43:01

Problems with his lower back, maybe?

Is he insured, Fluffy ? Limping since Thursday (on the same leg as before and having taken on fairly significant meds) really isn't a great sign even if he's relaxed enough with his people not to cover up as much as he otherwise might.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Jan-15 13:55:49

No he's not insured.

The vet said to give him until Tuesday & then go back, I was expecting him to react to the painkillers more than he has.

He doesn't like me touching his back paw pads though.

cozietoesie Sun 11-Jan-15 14:04:30

How long did he take to recover last time? 5 or 6 days was it?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Jan-15 14:06:54

Less than that.

He's not holding it out when he sits, he's sitting normally. It's all a bit odd really.

fenneltea Sun 11-Jan-15 15:17:06

If the claw is scuffed could it just be that the nerve endings in the quick are exposed? I had a dog that was lame when he damaged his claw and exposed the quick, it took a fair few days to heal from what I can remember.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Jan-15 15:48:13

Did he lick the sore claw?

cozietoesie Sun 11-Jan-15 17:40:41

Which leg is it Fluffy?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:47:58

Left leg again. I think there might be a residual problem anyway because he fell out of a tree & off the conservatory roof in a 3-4 week period when he was 18m.

RubbishMantra Sun 11-Jan-15 20:16:21

Hmm, that sounds feasable Fennel, I know what it's like to lose a toenail. <shudders>

fenneltea Sun 11-Jan-15 21:16:17

My dog did lick his damaged claw yes, but he'd managed to pull the whole outer protective bit off leaving just sensitive tissue behind, I daresay if it's just the tip of the claw affected they might not try to lick so much?

I hope it is just something simple and he improves by Tuesday.

cozietoesie Mon 12-Jan-15 00:26:06

I'm going to be humanoid here - which isn't necessarily a good thing but Hey......

I have disc issues and when my back goes is the only time that I really limp - and pain relief does very little unless it's serious 'knock you completely out' stuff because movement involves just so many joints and muscles. I'll confess to wondering whether he has a touch of that/IVDD/something along those lines.

I'd try keeping him peaceful and quiet (Stop that hollow laughter!) and see how he gets on over the next couple of days. If it is his spine, it should recover more than a bit by - say - Tuesday/Wednesday although he'll likely be a bit tentative for a week or two.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 11:13:44

How's Limpycat today?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 13-Jan-15 14:37:03

Still stiff but better overall. I'll use up the painkillers and then see how his leg is.

He's watching Shrek wishing he was puss in boots.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Jan-15 14:46:28

Poor ASBOCat - but that sounds a bit better. Can you put a fire on so that he can sprawl in front of it and think how lucky he is not to be outside? (We're to have snow shortly although I'm not sure if Seniorboy knows what snow actually is.)

cozietoesie Wed 14-Jan-15 20:32:24

How's the leg?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Jan-15 21:35:30

Stiff but he can race upstairs when he wants to. He's still got some painkillers left so I'm finishing the bottle.

cozietoesie Wed 14-Jan-15 21:40:59

He's recovering then. That's good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: