Talk

Advanced search

My cat's gait has gone wonky

(25 Posts)
LineRunner Tue 11-Nov-14 12:36:59

I am booking her in to the vet's.

Meanwhile, any ideas? She is a normal shorthair, 7 years old, always been a bit of an indoor wuss but has access to outside.

We noticed last night she was being fairly quiet and napping a lot by the radiator in her catbed. She did enjoy her food this morning though, and got up for it enthusiastically, and went outside to pee. But she seems unsteady on her back leg(s). No visible injuries, and she lets me cuddle her without showing any pain.

Thanks for any advice.

cozietoesie Tue 11-Nov-14 13:13:41

I'd get her in to the vet. There are a number of possibilities so I really wouldn't like to second guess a good clinical examination.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 11-Nov-14 13:14:38

I agree with cozie. Vet asap.

Woodenheart Tue 11-Nov-14 13:17:34

I second the vets a.s.a.p,

This happened to my cat in front of my eyes, it was a stroke.

Im not diagnosing at all, but just take her straight up there,

Hope shes o.k,

LineRunner Tue 11-Nov-14 22:31:55

Thank you all. The vet wants me to bring her in tomorrow, after a long phone call.

Cat is quite chirpy this evening. But still not her bouncy self.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 11-Nov-14 22:51:08

Hope you get your moggy sorted out tomorrow smile

SirVixofVixHall Tue 11-Nov-14 22:53:15

Hope she is back to normal soon, and that the vet visit goes well.

cozietoesie Tue 11-Nov-14 23:46:51

Figers crossed that the vet is just being ultra careful and that she turns out to be broadly fine. Let us know how she gets on.

LineRunner Wed 12-Nov-14 11:50:22

Hello again. Well apparently there's nothing wrong with her that the vet can find.

Typical cat - makes a full recovery in the cat box on the way to the vet's. She is currently scoffing some leftover cooked chicken.

Oddest thing.

cozietoesie Wed 12-Nov-14 12:06:04

Well that's good - and you did absolutely the right thing by having her checked.

(If she's had a little cerebral 'incident' - even though she's a youngish cat - they can recover pretty well completely from that so just back to normal for her, I think.)

LineRunner Wed 12-Nov-14 12:39:25

Tbh this particular cat has always been the one that gets everything wrong with her. The Saga of the Eyes lasted a year and involved biopsies, the works. She spent six months once sleeping in the bathroom sink. She is attracted to flames. She is crackers.

cozietoesie Wed 12-Nov-14 12:55:31

Six months in the bathroom sink????

I guess 'normal' for her may not be normal in anyone else's eyes. If she has had a little issue though, it sounds as if it's resolved itself although she'll still be getting a good dose of TLC from you I suspect?

LineRunner Wed 12-Nov-14 14:48:44

Yes, she has been having a proper hug during the Russell Brand webchat and is now asleep in my briefcase.

cozietoesie Wed 12-Nov-14 15:07:04

.....asleep in my briefcase.....

Yes - she's crackers. Completely crackers.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 12-Nov-14 17:51:33

oh bless

there could be lost of reasons - thyroid, virus, ear infection ...

hope the vet can shed some light on it

Our lovely boy cat (6) had this and it was a brain tumour - slow growing - he's still going 13 months later - fat, happy but a but more wobbly !

LineRunner Wed 12-Nov-14 17:53:11

Did you get the tumour removed?

ghostyslovesheep Wed 12-Nov-14 19:20:39

no - I opted to let it run its course - he's in no pain and healthy and happy - I didn't want to put him through surgery etc

we just want to love him for as long as we can xxxx

LineRunner Thu 13-Nov-14 07:45:45

I agree with that, gordy. flowers

Anyway, CrackersCat is very sprightly this morning. I wonder if you are right about the ear infection.

ghostyslovesheep Thu 13-Nov-14 17:24:59

fingers crossed xxxx

ghostyslovesheep Fri 14-Nov-14 14:16:13

any news Liney?

LineRunner Fri 14-Nov-14 14:21:28

Well she's been absolutely fine since on the way to the vet visit, even though the vet didn't actually do anything.

Last night and today the cat's been jumping around as normal. DS says he likes the inner ear theory because her wobbliness looked like a balance problem to him. Now he tells me.

I guess whatever it was just cleared up itself.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Nov-14 15:44:19

That's good. Long may it continue for her.

smile

ghostyslovesheep Fri 14-Nov-14 18:38:22

fantastic news grin

LineRunner Fri 14-Nov-14 19:04:14

Ah, thank you.smile

She's sitting in a cardboard box now, as you do.

Woodenheart Fri 14-Nov-14 20:28:44

cake for puss cat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now