Older lab screaming in his sleep

(8 Posts)
BlairRobbins Tue 30-Jun-20 10:47:14

Last night our 8 year old lab woke us at 2 am screaming, it sounded like he was seriously hurt or dying. My husband and I ran to the room he was sleeping in to find him sitting in a corner, still screaming, and shaking like he was terrified. His heart was beating so hard, it was like he was having a nightmare. This is the second time this has happened this week. Last time it was during the day and he limped a bit after, we checked for injuries both times and found nothing. After he calms down he stopped limping and even ran around a bit playing with our other dog. Please help

OP’s posts: |
PalTheGent Tue 30-Jun-20 10:52:13

Leg cramps?

Judashascomeintosomemoney Tue 30-Jun-20 11:06:36

Onset of arthritis I’d think, can be exacerbated by periods of lying down. My Labrador, 13y, had arthritis for a while, controlled by meds, started screaming, and I do mean screaming, a few days ago. Took him to the vet on Saturday and the arthritis (which was back legs only) is now affecting front leg and spine. He’s now on gabapentin too. Made an immediate difference to him. I’d take him to the vet and get him checked over. Best of luck.

Veterinari Tue 30-Jun-20 11:43:12

Could be arthritis or senile cognitive dysfunction.

Nighttime confusion/anxiety is often a sign. Selgian is helpful

BlairRobbins Tue 30-Jun-20 11:53:55

Thank you so much!!

BlairRobbins Tue 30-Jun-20 11:54:27

Judashascomeintosomemoney

Onset of arthritis I’d think, can be exacerbated by periods of lying down. My Labrador, 13y, had arthritis for a while, controlled by meds, started screaming, and I do mean screaming, a few days ago. Took him to the vet on Saturday and the arthritis (which was back legs only) is now affecting front leg and spine. He’s now on gabapentin too. Made an immediate difference to him. I’d take him to the vet and get him checked over. Best of luck.

Thank you !

googledontknow Thu 02-Jul-20 22:22:08

You might have already taken your dog to the vets, I hope so, but my older lab had the same thing, screaming in pain, he had a lump/growth pressing on his spine.
It needed immediate surgery.

Advertisement

TARSCOUT Thu 02-Jul-20 22:32:21

Please take her to the Vet as a matter or urgency.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in