Talk

Advanced search

Breed suggestions please

(17 Posts)
Shadowboy Thu 16-Feb-17 13:52:59

Something large but generally amenable in nature. We ave the children currently 2.4 years and 3 months. We also have a Doberman bitch. She is 3 years old. We are very outdoorsy so something active but not too mental (like a spaniel)
We have owned Alaskan malamutes in the past (both rescue and from a puppy) but I'm trying to think of other breeds we would enjoy.

Dementedswan Thu 16-Feb-17 13:58:37

Labrador
Italian spinone

RosalynneSnelling Thu 16-Feb-17 14:30:23

Labrador and Retriever are your best choices smile

Shadowboy Thu 16-Feb-17 15:37:02

Is there much of a temperament difference between the lab and retriever? Labs are lovely as are retrievers but despite being common dogs i don't know anyone who owns one.

jellypi3 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:40:00

both are very food driven so easy to train. fairly laid back, enjoy being active, love a ball or stick.

labs are shorter haired so less maintenance in that sense.

if you get a puppy please be careful and do thorough research, they are both breeds that are highly exploited by puppy farmers. make sure you get parents who are both hip and eye scored.

Lancelottie Thu 16-Feb-17 15:45:15

Just wondering if this rescue site would be any use to you?

Whitney168 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:09:17

Leonberger?

Shadowboy Thu 16-Feb-17 16:12:30

We LOVE leonbergers but I don't think our car could fit both a leonberger and our dobe in (skoda Octavia estate)

Out2pasture Thu 16-Feb-17 16:28:19

I love my Airedale

SkeletonSkins Thu 16-Feb-17 17:26:49

Golden? I think they're gorgeous

OdinsLoveChild Thu 16-Feb-17 17:32:21

English pointer? Hungarian vizla? Setters english/irish/gordon?. I love setters myself and the English Setter is an endangered breed too.
Clumber spaniels are lovely and not at all spaniely.

Slimmingsnake Thu 16-Feb-17 17:33:20

Grayhound be perfect

chickensaresafehere Thu 16-Feb-17 17:41:36

Lurcher.

LumelaMme Thu 16-Feb-17 18:21:07

If you are seriously outdoorsy a German pointer or Vizsla might work for you. IME good with kids if a bit exuberant. Fabulous dogs: love their human family.

The main issue would be whether you had enough time to devote to one with two small DC. Very intelligent dogs, responsive to training, but they will keep going ALL day. If you go on very long walks, run half-marathons or want to do canicross, fine. Otherwise, maybe not.

Secretspillernamechange Thu 16-Feb-17 18:25:19

Get a Newfie (and a bigger car)!

beansbananas Thu 16-Feb-17 18:29:16

I grew up with labradors... they make a great family dog and absolutely adore children. But they can be naughty as puppies, so you need to make time to train them and keep them company when they are young. But they really are wonderful breeds and will be your new best friend.

mimiasovitch Thu 16-Feb-17 19:55:37

Spinone! Large with an absolutely delightful temperament.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now