Advanced search

I think she is going to die....

(17 Posts)
anonymousbird Sat 20-Aug-16 11:26:51

DDog (nearly 9) has been in the hospital since early on Thursday, they've called me in for midday to see her. Didn't say a huge amount on the phone other than her only chance is anaesthetic and surgery. I don't know yet how likely this is to be successful or not. She is very poorly and very weak and I don't want her to have surgery if it may kill her. I'd rather she just could spend time with us and die peacefully.

I just can't think straight and don't know what to do. DH and DS are away, but aware, and could get back if need be to say goodbye.

Just looking for a hand to hold really. sad

rogl Sat 20-Aug-16 11:28:46

Didn't want to read and run.
I'm so sorry your going through this, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Sorry no advice but here for a hand hold flowers

anonymousbird Sat 20-Aug-16 11:38:50

Thank you. It's so sudden, it's like a bad dream. She can't eat, so can't fight. And both vets have said, separately, "it's not the most severe case I've seen but...."

I can at least get DH on the phone when I am with the vet and he is very upset but tends to be able to see these things more clearly than me.

justanothermnuser Sat 20-Aug-16 11:52:43

It's a hard thing to see your pet suffer, I'm really not good with advice but I'm just here for support! You can message me if you ever want to talk smile flowers

rogl Sat 20-Aug-16 12:18:51

You said your dh is away is he able to come home to help you make the decision.
It's a lot to take on by yourself x

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 20-Aug-16 12:38:06

I'd speak to the vet and ask them to tell you honestly, what the chances are, so you can make as informed a decision as is possible, to make. Sometimes dogs pull through even on the slimmest odds, so there is that. I'd probably err on the side of giving her a fighting chance and going ahead with the op (if you can afford it/she's insured) as that way, even if the worst happens, she'd pass under anaesthetic and the best case scenario is she will pull through..? We are all different though, and no one decision is wrong or right.

We had a dog when I was a child, who developed a blockage, many years ago (ate a dummy he found in the sand-pit) and by the time the vet operated, infection had spread so he died under anaesthetic (he was only 6 months old but already very much loved). And I did find it a comfort, knowing at least mum and dad had tried to give him a chance and at elast when he died, he knew nothing about it and had no fear.

anonymousbird Sat 20-Aug-16 13:36:11

Thanks all, and yes, in regular contact with DH so we are making the decisions together.

We are going ahead with a procedure that is a light anaesthetic and not that invasive, we truly hope this is her "fighting chance". Her vitals signs are currently fairly stable enough to tolerate the anaesthetic we are advised. Vet says she has a reasonable chance of pulling through, so that has to be worth a shot.

It was upsetting to see her, but we know we can't feel as bad as she does right now.

Floralnomad Sat 20-Aug-16 14:26:37

What's wrong with her OP ? Hope she does ok with the procedure .

Shriek Sat 20-Aug-16 15:51:43

hi OP ... wanted to send support to you for anxious time. Vet does seem to have put odds marginally in her favour.

under aneasthesia does seem better way to 'go' than struggling on perhaps in pain/suffering.

Such a tough one. Let us know how it goes and very best wishes to all xx

anonymousbird Sun 21-Aug-16 18:13:41

Thanks all for your kind and helpful words. They did the procedure yesterday afternoon and she made it safely through that (first step!) and she is now showing the response we hoped for.

Not out of the woods, but it's a big positive. She recognised us today and wanted to eat!!!!! Her vitals are good and the swelling and toxins are reducing. Yesterday she was just a shell of a dog, there were no signs that it was really "her". So much pain and disorientation.

Today, I hope, we may have got "our dog " back. The loveliest silliest Labrador to walk the face of the earth may yet run and play and drive us crazy once again.


JoffreyBaratheon Mon 22-Aug-16 11:43:23

Wonderful! Hopefully she will go from strength to strength! So happy for you!

Threetoedsloth Mon 22-Aug-16 11:59:02

Great news . I hope she thrives now . She sounds such a lovely girl.

anonymousbird Mon 22-Aug-16 15:46:11

Thank you.

The relief is immense.

Even better again today, she even lay down on my feet for a good 20 minutes and was very calm and settled - normally lying on my feet DRIVES ME MAD and hurts, but today, it was just lovely. Tomorrow, she should be home. We have several days/a week or two of feeding tube and medication, but at least it can be in her own place. Praise be, she's a fighter.

CrossfireHurricane Mon 22-Aug-16 15:59:47

What great news.
I hope she continues to improve each day flowers

Shriek Wed 24-Aug-16 19:08:32

glad i called in to get your update. You must be so relieved and far more hopeful now. Fingers ccrossed things keep getting better

mamarach26 Wed 24-Aug-16 19:15:06

This thread is lovelysmile I'm glad she's okay X

anonymousbird Thu 25-Aug-16 07:59:13

Thanks. She is ok but pretty subdued (not surprising!) and it is now a case of helping her her convalescence as she has a few weeks of recovery ahead of her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now