Talk

Advanced search

random question about dog behaviour

(6 Posts)
MrsNutella Sat 23-Apr-16 09:06:36

Sorry, it's a question about poo.

Where we live is semi rural. There are a lot of dog owners. But also a lot of families with small kids (it's a new build area). We fall into the latter group.

Near our house is a row of garages and in front of that a wide paved area. Opposite the garages is a house and garden. The garden fence runs along opposite the garages to the street.

At the corner where the garages end and the fence reaches the street there is a big poo. There was one there a couple of weeks ago too. We have to pass this to walk from our house to the street, so do all our neighbours. You can't drive a car to the front of our house, it's a strange set up.

I've said to DH -he said it was dog poo - that dogs generally prefer to go on grass. I think it's human poo. So, I want to ask some dog owners, have you ever known a dog prefer to go on a paved area?

Sorry, I am not a poo troll and I do find this disgusting. But I think we should be looking for a person not their dog. I've also suggested we put up some signs or possibly even a camera happily a fake to act as a deterrent. But we'll have to consult the neighbours.

Any advice?? Sorry for the disgusting topicconfused

tabulahrasa Sat 23-Apr-16 10:17:00

It's possible that it's human, given you get some weird people about - but it's way way more likely to be a dog.

Yes some dogs prefer grass, some just don't care at all and even dogs with a preference will go on a pavement if they're on the lead.

pigsDOfly Sat 23-Apr-16 16:30:59

I would make the assumption that it's a dog poo in those circumstances.

Most dogs seem to prefer grass but if they have to poo they will go where they are regardless, and a large dog can leave a very big poo - one of the reasons I prefer having a small dog; although if the owner just walks away and leaves it there I suppose it doesn't bother them as they're not picking up big poos.

It's disgusting behaviour either way, and if you can put a camera there, or give the impression there is one there it might help. I sometimes walk my dog through a private estate and at one point there's one of those 'smile you're CCTV' signs. There might be a camera there but it if there is it's certainly well hidden - it's near a bit of open garden, not someone's private garden iyswim - but I've never seen any dog poo there.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 23-Apr-16 19:30:22

My collie will only go on grass but the spaniel will quite happily poo on concrete or another hard surface, he was a rescue dog and spent a while in kennels which I think has helped to shape this behaviour in him.

MrsNutella Sat 23-Apr-16 20:00:53

Thanks for the responses guys. I have seen other locals organising dog poo bags attached to a notice asking people to pick up after their dog, sadly it's really common here.

I find it odd because there is a patch of grass which almost always has dog poo on it about 2m away.

MrsNutella Sat 23-Apr-16 20:01:31

I know the owner of the fence so I will talk to them about putting up a sign at the very least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now