Talk

Advanced search

Kong fillings

(8 Posts)
WizardOfToss Thu 23-Jul-15 23:34:56

Can anyone recommend fillings for a Kong? Other than Banana, wet food or peanut butter. I need something that makes the dog work to get it out!

My cocker has just had a second round of bowel surgery, so no more chews ever again - it's kongs all the way! But I need to keep him occupied at the same time.

Thank you.

tabulahrasa Fri 24-Jul-15 01:34:02

I put lumps of raw chicken in and then freeze it, they freeze together so he has to defrost each lump before he can get it out.

If raw chicken isn't ok because of the surgery...anything that will do that when it freezes would do the same.

Frozen wet food takes longer than just putting wet food in as well.

I always freeze them tbh, it's not worth the hassle of filling them otherwise, too quick , lol...and I can have 3 or 4 on rotation that way as well.

WizardOfToss Fri 24-Jul-15 07:21:18

That is really helpful, thank you tabula. I shall get some more kongs today! I also have some frozen bananas I can try on him.

The stupid mutt has got bunged up twice with foreign objects and now his bowel is a right mess apparently sad

nmg85 Fri 24-Jul-15 08:21:05

I mix some of her kibble with a little peanut butter and yogurt and then freeze it. Lasts mine at least 20 min which for my cocker is a record.

Lilcamper Fri 24-Jul-15 09:12:48

If you look in the files on the Facebook group 'Dog Training Advice and Support' there is a massive list of recipes.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Fri 24-Jul-15 09:59:47

Treats and then philadelphia cream cheese.

ender Fri 24-Jul-15 10:04:34

Instant mashed potato freezes rock hard and you can mix in bits of carrot, apple, leftovers etc. My dogs will eat everything but if yours is more fussy you could mix in a few favourite treats.

WizardOfToss Fri 24-Jul-15 11:32:04

These are all brilliant, thank you. Can't believe I didn't think of freezing them! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now