Talk

Advanced search

What flea prevention and how much please?

(10 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Tue 20-Jan-15 11:56:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 20-Jan-15 13:00:28

I'm about to join that scheme at Vets 4 Pets where you get a year's worth of fleaing, worming, a check-up etc for £12 a month in the case of a small dog like our's.

I last bought Advantage, around £15 for three treatments online. But you need a wormer as well - as she's a puppy, she is on the puppy Panacur which was about £7 and that is only a month's worth. So it works out the same price to use the vet's scheme - cheaper in fact as I am going to ask the vet for the prescription only Advocate as that is a combined -de-flea, worming and gives some protection for mange mites. That is one you can't buy over the counter but is very effective.

You can get a vet's prescription for £10 - 20 depending on vet, but they only last about 3 months I think, then you have to pay for a new one. With a prescription you can then buy online - but it is still going to work out cheaper for us to do the vets' scheme.

Other vets may have similar schemes.

Frontline totally stopped working on my last dog about 2 years ago. I don't think they have changed the drug. It simply no longer worked at all.

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 20-Jan-15 13:08:11

ETA: Oops forgot to say that for the £12 you also get the annual vaccinations - so essentially, for what I was paying before for de-fleaing and worming, I'd also get the vaccination and a check up. So I think it will work out good value for us.

We used the same local vet for years for our last two dogs but have switched to Vets 4 Pets because of this offer as because they seem generally cheaper.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Tue 20-Jan-15 13:18:32

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 20-Jan-15 15:10:31

Wow, that's cheap! I know my pup was given Advocate by the rescue but when we brought her home, I had some Advantage left over from previous dog, so used that. As we've just finished it, I'm thinking of starting the scheme next week! Also mine is a staffy cross and in their first year or so, staffs are prone to mange so I reckon Advocate might be a better option for Madam...

Good luck with whatever you chose. I'm sure I am paying less for this kind of thing now than I was paying for Frontline ten years ago from the vet...

Itsgoingtoreindeer Tue 20-Jan-15 16:56:22

Panicmode1 Wed 21-Jan-15 07:31:23

I have just paid £14 for Advocate Spot on (which does worming as well, bar Tapeworm) and a Droncit tablet (for the tapeworm because she is a scavenger)......

goshhhhhh Wed 21-Jan-15 07:53:35

We use confortis. Got it via the vet. Cheaper than frontline & more effective.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Wed 21-Jan-15 08:39:36

Panicmode1 Wed 21-Jan-15 15:32:50

That was from my vet....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: