Talk

Advanced search

Recipes for stuffing kongs

(17 Posts)
UpWithPup Tue 16-Dec-14 08:44:54

I keep reading about people stuffing and freezing kongs. Can I ask what your dogs favourite fillings are?

Focusfocus Tue 16-Dec-14 09:35:10

I bake 3 frozen fillets of salmon, lots of liver and a couple sausages every 2 months or so. Then chop then into tiny little bits and freeze the whole trail mix :-) in a freezer bag.

That's it - that's her treats and her kong filling. Se is crazy about them, indoors or outdoors. And they are full of goodness and nothing else, and very cheap.

I've heard people use peanut butter, grated cheese, etc.

Oh she also eats plain yogurt every day. So that's also great to fill a kong and freeze.

Chrismoosemama Tue 16-Dec-14 13:49:44

I use my dogs' normal kibble mixed with a tin of sardines in tomato sauce. Topped off with either Fish4Dogs salmon mousse or something like Lily's Kitchen or Forthglade wet food.

I also do microwaved egg and kibble, but you have to block up the small hole, then be patient and microwave in short blasts, squashing the egg mix down in between each blast - takes them ages to eat this one though, as it welds itself together! grin

Natural yoghurt with banana is a popular one too.

This week I am trialling just using Forthglade Chicken with Tripe wet food, mixed with kibble. The dogs are loving it, but being veggie myself, I'm not loving the smell. fenvy <---- not envy

UpWithPup Tue 16-Dec-14 16:07:05

Thanks for the ideas smile

FannyFanakapan Tue 16-Dec-14 16:10:20

go on pinterest and search Kong STuffing - theres hundreds of ideas!

RayBloodyPurchase Tue 16-Dec-14 16:11:01

My beastie likes peanut butter, I put some kibble inside first, then plug the end with pb.

Chrismoosemama Tue 16-Dec-14 16:40:27

Mine love peanut butter too, unfortunately it doesn't like them and the smells they produced afterwards were enough to put me off giving them it again for life! grin

RayBloodyPurchase Tue 16-Dec-14 18:17:19

grin mine just makes smells whatever you feed her! (Vets Kitchen made her impossible to live with though tbh!)

UpWithPup Tue 16-Dec-14 18:22:53

Thanks for the ideas. Id never even thought of pinterest. I'm going to try Chrismoosemama's egg recipe first because I have that stuff in. Sounds like peanut butter is a popular choice though, that can go on the shopping list!

Chrismoosemama Tue 16-Dec-14 20:20:09

Tip for doing the egg one. Plug the hole in the smaller end, drop in some kibble, then the egg and mix up a little - only fill about half full or just under. Then stand it in a microwavable cup to keep it upright while you cook it. It will probably puff up out of the big hole and you need to keep squashing that back down in between doing short-ish blasts in the microwave.

fieldfare Tue 16-Dec-14 20:27:29

Dog's favourite for in the summer when the kids have ice creams (he doesn't like being left out) is plain yoghurt, a mashed banana and a spoon of crunchy peanut butter.

MostAmused Tue 16-Dec-14 23:19:45

I've heard you have to be careful about peanut butter because of the salt and sugar? Never looked into this though. I just use meridian nut butters, they tend to be 100% nuts and no salt or sugar etc smile.
Ours likes nut butter and coconut oil with some kibble all stuffed in. I sometimes add yogurt and freeze too smile

DorisIsABitPartialToSprouts Wed 17-Dec-14 00:47:35

Mushed up boiled liver send my dog to heaven! It makes me <boak> though.

VeryStressedMum Wed 17-Dec-14 17:38:17

Can you give the filled kongs to puppies and if you can what's the best filling?

Chrismoosemama Wed 17-Dec-14 18:06:30

Yes you can give them to pups, it's a great way to get them to have some downtime and get them used to not having you constantly right there with them all the time. Also gives them something appropriate to chew on.

To start with just try some loose kibble or a bit of their wet-food if that's what they eat - until they get the idea that food is supposed to come out of it. (They don't all catch on straight away.) Then you can soak the kibble and really pack it in or start putting in sardines, pilchards, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt etc, all things that are kind to their stomachs really. To make them last even longer you can freeze them, the longer they're frozen before you give them to your pup, the longer they'll last.

VeryStressedMum Thu 18-Dec-14 13:42:41

Thanks chrismoose I'm definitely going to try that.

Dancingyogi Thu 18-Dec-14 14:51:30

We use the y shaped kongs and stuff them with primula cheese, have used dairy lea but it's a bit messy. A fishy potato paste would be good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now