Advanced search

Small dog died suddenly last night

(27 Posts)
JenniferGovernment Sat 06-Dec-14 07:14:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eastpoint Sat 06-Dec-14 07:16:57

I'm sorry for your loss, it must all seem unreal at the moment flowers

Calmthefeckdown Sat 06-Dec-14 07:16:58

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog sad What an awful shock. Take care of yourself today (((hugs)))

Woodenheart Sat 06-Dec-14 07:18:18

Im so sorry, it breaks your heart sad x

livelablove Sat 06-Dec-14 07:20:16

So sorry to hear about your small dog. Xxx

JenniferGovernment Sat 06-Dec-14 07:21:38

Woodenheart Sat 06-Dec-14 07:27:53

I mean this in the kindest way, but when you say that you didn't have time to say goodbye, ( Ive been through it ) the only thing that helped me, was to think, thank goodness he wasn't missing and I never found out where he was.

( hope that makes sense )

I really feel for you, the shock is so so overwhelming, just try and take things hour by hour, Im so sorry.

ishouldcocoa Sat 06-Dec-14 07:31:04

Oh, you poor thing. You must be in such shock.
This comes with big hugs (((((((( ))))))))).

JenniferGovernment Sat 06-Dec-14 07:44:24

Stillyummy Sat 06-Dec-14 07:47:56

Thank goodness it was quick and you look after him and loved him right the way through. You did all you could. Don't be too hard on yourself, it is ok to cry (lots) xx

atonofwashing Sat 06-Dec-14 07:56:12

I am sorry.
It's the worst part of owning a pet, losing them.
Hope u start to feel better soon.
We are still in shock from losing our girl last Wednesday.
Seeing their bed and things is upsetting. Our dogs bed is still in situ. It was there for ten yrs, so can't yet put it away.
Take care.

JenniferGovernment Sat 06-Dec-14 08:02:06

MitchellMummy Sat 06-Dec-14 08:46:43

So very sorry. I also lost one suddenly. Heartbreaking for us (still hurts after three years) but good for the dog that they didn't suffer a long illness. Even if you have another dog (or two in our case) left behind there is still a massive hole. RIP. x

inmyshoos Sat 06-Dec-14 09:10:17

Sending big hugs. I lost a much loved horse 3 weeks ago who was young and died very suddenly. Feel like my heart actually broke into tiny pieces it was so painful. So sudden. And not his time. Angry he didn't get to grow old. I know pain you are feeling. Let yourself cry. Find comfort in your other dog. My 2 dogs were a great source of comfort in the very early days.
Do you want to talk about what happened? Sometimes that helps. I was in shock because it was so sudden and unexpected. Talking about it helped me process what had happened.
Sending you a big hug op.

Tootyfilou Sat 06-Dec-14 12:11:08

Very sorry for your loss, it is terrible to lose your dog under any circumstances but when it happens so suddenly the shock is awful.
We lost our boy suddenly at the beginning of the year and although the immediate grief has lessened, I still feel a sense of shock about it.

Very sorry for you and your familyflowers

JenniferGovernment Sat 06-Dec-14 12:22:15

patienceisvirtuous Sat 06-Dec-14 12:27:09

Oh sad I'm so sorry OP. RIP small dog

OP you did everything you could for him x

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 06-Dec-14 13:17:01

So sorry. This is worst case scenario as he had more years in him, was so sudden and unexpected, etc. So you have to be very kind to yourself for a good long time to come.

In September we lost an elderly dog - the opposite scenario. She'd had dementia for years and we'd known a long time that 'the day' was coming. And it has been one of the worst periods of my life so I can't even begin to imagine how the hell you must feel, with this happening.

My dog always slept on the sofa so we didn't have a bed to look at - but seeing her food and water bowls when we got home was the worst thing. I got my husband to wash them up and put them aside as I knew I'd be having another dog at some point, and it seemed nice to save them so new pup had a link with old pup. But I hid them away then til needed again.

Our previous dog died very suddenly (brain tumour diagnosed xmas week, he was PTS before New Year's Day - he was 6).

You have your other dog to love and focus on. This won't do his SA any favours, I'm guessing. My late dog was the survivor of a pair and she was knocked sideways by the first dog dying. It was something I found myself working on intensively, which helped me deal with the immediate shock of my grief when he died. I was so busy trying to make her come out of it in one piece, I didn't have so much time to miss him.

JenniferGovernment Sat 06-Dec-14 14:35:56

JenniferGovernment Sat 06-Dec-14 14:36:35

Showy Sat 06-Dec-14 15:19:37

Oh you poor thing. I'm so sorry. I know you feel terrible that you weren't there at the end BUT you were there for nearly a decade and right there at the end he was surrounded by people who wanted to help him. Those strangers were fighting for him and you and that's precisely because he was so loved.

I am so terribly sorry. Do you know what, I'm not a dog person in the slightest, but I am a normal, kind, functioning human being and would never reduce your family member down to "just" a dog. He was part of the fabric of your last ten years and has left a gaping hole. You don't engage with people who try and belittle that. If they don't understand love then the fault lies entirely with them.

pigsDOfly Sat 06-Dec-14 18:33:52

So sorry for your loss. You did all you could for him at the end, and if you weren't physically with him it's because you put him into the safe care of those who were trying to save him. You were still loving him.

The time we have with our pets is never long enough, but all the time he was with you he was deeply loved and you gave him a good happy life.

I look at my dog sometimes and think, does she know how much I love her. I think a dog that's loved does know it.

Do keep his things, one day you'll feel able to take them out and look at them and smile at the happy memories. I still have my cats' bowls and the blanket that belonged to my male cat I've given to the dog as they were very close. It's silly I know, but I like to think she knows it was his.

Having him cremated is a good idea, as you say you can bring him home.
I found it comforting to have my cats' ashes in the house.

Take care of yourself. Don't let anyone tell you he was 'just' a dog.

Lakeslady Sat 06-Dec-14 20:08:33

It's a source of such sorrow that the animals with whom we share our lives don't share our span. I think we'd all love to have them around for much, much longer than we are accorded. You speak of small dog with such love, it makes me weep with you in your loss. I am sure he has had the most wonderful life with you.
When I met my DH he had a cat and so did I. We both love dogs too, but we chose cats due to work commitments. We now have two alpacas as well (stunningly adorable creatures) The cats we had when we met are no more, but we have another adorable pair living alongside us.
DH's boycat's ashes sit on his bedside table. Not as a shrine, not in an obsessive way, just as a mark of how much he meant to us both. DH got him because he was sad and lonely and desperately needed company. Boycat was a big (big) boy with the most gentle soul. He was shy, and cleaved to DH. But the day he met me, he reached out his paw and patted me on my nose. Never done it before and never did it again, but he gave me his paw of approval.
There will come a time when your grief for small dog abates, but he has left his pawprints on your heart. Look for him and you'll find him there.

Varya Sat 06-Dec-14 20:11:10

Very sorry about your little dog. Hugs and XXX

JenniferGovernment Fri 12-Dec-14 08:01:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now