Talk

Advanced search

Muzzles.

(10 Posts)
BluddyMoFo Tue 02-Aug-11 12:59:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alice15 Tue 02-Aug-11 13:33:38

I think we need a bit more information about the circumstances which lead you to be thinking about a muzzle before we can make any recommendations: also, what breed is your dog? - makes a difference to what types fit best.

BluddyMoFo Tue 02-Aug-11 14:00:58

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 02-Aug-11 15:08:01

I have a basket muzzle for my dog, although she doesn't wear it much. She is dog aggressive not people aggressive. I can understand the stress, it must be worse if they are snappy round people.
A muzzle does help you to relax which may in itself make your dog calmer and the problem less, but they do tend to rub the muzzle on you and roll about trying to remove it.
Don't get one of the cloth type ones as they can't open their mouths to drink or pant, get a basket type.

BluddyMoFo Tue 02-Aug-11 15:13:18

Batteryhuman Tue 02-Aug-11 16:58:19

I use a plastic basket for my lab on walks because of his poo eating habit. he is used to it.

minimu11 Tue 02-Aug-11 17:41:16

Defo use a basket muzzle so the dog can drink, pant etc.

Before you put the muzzle on make sure that you desensitize the muzzle for the dog so DO not put on the muzzle go to a stressful situation as the dog will assoiciate that with the muzzle.

Get the muzzle and put it next to the dogs bowl when he eats his tea for a few days

Hold the muzzle and put your fingers through the end of the muzzle and feed your dog the yummiest treats you can find.

When the dog is comfortable at this stage it may take a few days depending on how many times you do it.

When you put the muzzle on have the time of your live play games run around and let the dog have fun with you - the muzzle means great time not stressful times.

You are now probably ready to go out and about again to start with go to great places where you will not have a negative experience so somewhere with no dogs or fast moving little children.

The behaviour you describe above can also be helped a lot by training methods so do not use the muzzle as a reason to stop training but use it as an aid to keep you relaxed to enhance the training.

Loads of click and treating when the dog is below threshold when he sees other dogs and children and gradually increase the distance between the stressful situation.

You have a difficult situation to deal with but it really can be improved so much with training. You do need a supportive trainer or behaviourist to help you as I do know how frustrating and lonely it can be with a reactive dog but don't give up things can and will get better.

I have been out this afternoon with a very reactive rescue collie who could not even look at a dog the other side of a field without going ballistic but today was playing in the lake with 5 other dogs. I love my job grin

BluddyMoFo Tue 02-Aug-11 17:58:54

BluddyMoFo Tue 02-Aug-11 18:00:15

minimu11 Tue 02-Aug-11 20:48:11

I would start with APDT as although not behaviourists they will be able to deal with many dog issues and I would think could easily deal with your dogs behaviour.

Steph Berry is in Hove (actually!) her details are on the APDT website here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now