Talk

Advanced search

Complete Raw Food / Nature's Menu

(6 Posts)
Millie1 Tue 28-Jun-11 22:10:25

Still researching foods though pup has now arrived so need to make a decision soon! Has anyone heard of, or does anyone feed with, Nature's Menu? I've been recommended their Complete Nuggets here. They're 33% meat, the remainder made up of various veg and 16% brown rice. What do knowledgeable or experienced raw feeders think? The bags are around £2.86 per 1kg which contains 60 nuggets.

The man I spoke to today (local distributor) recommended feeding our ageing and overweight Lab 28 nuggets each day, so it would cost £1.33 per day (£9.35 per week) to feed her. Currently, she's on Beta Senior and it costs around £6 per week so this seems like quite a jump. The pup, he said to feed around 6-7% of his bodyweight - no idea what he weighs just now but I'm presuming, from reading up on raw food elsewhere, that the 6% should reduce to 2-3% of his bodyweight at about 9 months. Does that sound right? For both dogs, he said 1-2 bones each week for calcium and teeth.

Would welcome opinions on content and costs if anyone can help please.

Thanks

musicposy Tue 28-Jun-11 23:07:11

I think it is good natural stuff, but I find it a bit too much in the way of veggies, as I think lots of raw feeders would, and it works out expensive, but useful if you want convenience. I did try it when I was transitioning to raw with Poppy but it didn't particularly suit her (she had quite runny poo). She definitely does better on a diet of almost exclusively meat with very little in the way of veg or grains.

I feed mainly prize choice because it is available at our pet shop and that works out much cheaper. They do frozen blocks of various mince/ meats which are around 74p for 400g. Taking around 2% of bodyweight, Poppy needs 220g and Budgen 180g, so a block divides perfectly between them, meaning it costs me 74p a day to feed 2 dogs. In reality I also buy their poultry necks and meat chunks and feed table scraps on top for a bit of veg content (DD1 ususally obliges by leaving her vegetablesgrin ), so it works out cheaper than this.

Usual guidelines are 2 - 3% bodyweight for an adult dog and up to 10% for a puppy, depending on age (so get nearer the adult figure as they approach adulthood).

I think there are some great suppliers out there which I am still investigating - I'm relatively new to raw - but the above is convenient for us for now.

Millie1 Wed 29-Jun-11 15:23:58

Thanks Musicposy - that's really useful. I guess it's going to come down to paying extra for a complete raw food or buying meats and adding my own veg and bones. Am looking now at Natural Instinct too - they seem to have a higher meat content but no rice ... heck, it's confusing!

misdee Wed 29-Jun-11 16:15:31

i got some of these for ralph naturesmenu.co.uk/products/Lamb_Complete_Blocks/Frozen_Complete_Bocks/Frozen_Complete_Blocks/ to have as an extra.

i rodered in bulk from berriewoods, and most of my order is chicken mince, and frozen meat packs.

we also give him chicken carcasses, wings etc as and when i get room inthe freeze3r for them.

www.berriewoodwholesale.co.uk/sec/148/Frozen-Meats-for-Dogs/

Millie1 Wed 29-Jun-11 22:36:36

Misdee ... Thanks for the Berriewoods link - looks great if delivery to NI is reasonable. The Natures Menu nuggets are only £2.26 compared to £2.86 locally - makes a difference of almost £2 per week for the Lab! Shall ring them tomorrow.

misdee Wed 29-Jun-11 23:23:27

They have a postcode checklist on their site as they don't cover all areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now