Talk

Advanced search

Totty (80s children's dolls house drama) - Does anyone remember it ?

(16 Posts)
KingRolo Mon 20-Jul-09 14:13:21

I think it was on children's BBC in the early 80s.

The main chatacter was a doll called Totty and she lived in a doll's house with another doll called Birdie, a male doll and a little boy. Totty's nemesis was an evil doll called Marchpane.

Does anyone remember it or did I just dream it up?

KingRolo Mon 20-Jul-09 14:14:20

<btw, I have googled Totty but the websites that came up were unsavoury to say the least!>

marmitemad Mon 20-Jul-09 14:15:27

no you aren't dreaming

I loved this programme and have just finished reading the book to dd (although it wasn't as good now I'm grown up smile

southeastastra Mon 20-Jul-09 14:16:39

here! don't remember myself

notcitrus Mon 20-Jul-09 14:17:49

'Tottie - the story of a doll's house'.

I had the book which was before the series.
Celluloid is flammable!

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Mon 20-Jul-09 14:19:24

scroll down

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 20-Jul-09 14:20:57

I didn't see it but it sounds like it must have been a tv version of this wonderful book by Rumer Godden.

I didn't read it till last year but thought it was fab, reminds me I must read it to dd!

LadyGooGoo Mon 20-Jul-09 14:25:56

Oooh, I watched this and before the advent of google, could find no one who remembered it (including mum and sister, who I KNOW I watched it with).

To be honest, not surprised people were so sceptical that such a children's programme existed. I mean "There was a doll's house and an evil doll moves in and starts a fire in which another doll is burnt to death". Doesn't sound very child friendly does it?!

KingRolo Mon 20-Jul-09 14:27:29

Brilliant links - thank you.

It was harrowing stuff wasn't it? I remember being quite traumatised when Birdie died in the fire. No wonder it hasn't been repeated!

I didn't know it was a book, will have to look into that.

Off now to look at TV Cream. I'll get no work done now. grin

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Mon 20-Jul-09 14:45:31

you tube

KingRolo Mon 20-Jul-09 14:49:18

Thanks for that link, brought back some memories!

Northernlurker Mon 20-Jul-09 14:50:11

I LOVED this! (Though yes the fire and the melting was very upsetting) Will look at the links when home from work grin

BexJ78 Fri 14-Aug-09 22:12:25

i remember that programme. it was lovely but also sad you didn't dream it!

EccentricaGallumbits Fri 14-Aug-09 22:16:11

oh. my. god.

i'm having a disturbing flashback.

no idea i remembered this until i looked.

'the mangle with it's windy windy handle'

feel like rocking in a corned but i don't know why.

need therapy.

LovingtheSilverFox Fri 14-Aug-09 22:34:36

Well remembered, it's all flooding back now! Am thinking maybe I should have had therapy then!

BikeRunSki Fri 14-Aug-09 22:43:17

Ok, so you are not dreaming about Tottie ( wink), but does anyone remember Pipkins? Chidlren's TV show, ITV, 70s, set in a big house with a backyard, staring a hare, tortoise and ostrich?

Also Issy No Ho? Cartoon about a panda that lived in a tree house. Same vintage as Pipkins (and me!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now