I started on citalopram about a month and a half ago for mild depression. I was feeling a bit down and anxious and weepy at certain times of the month. Only problem is we've been waiting to ttc. When I told the doc this she said it would probably be best to wait till i'm off the citalopram which would be in 6 months time.
I'm feeling really good and like I can see things more clearly and almost feel like I could cope without the tablets but i'm not sure if thats just cause i'm on them iyswim.
We really want to get on and ttc and i've been wondering if I should talk to the doc and slowly come of the citalopram and see how I am. I've read in to the risks of taking them and ttc on the internet and although I haven't read anything that worries me I would feel more comfortable ttcing if I wasn't on the tablets.
It was the doc who suggested I go on the tablets and she didn't offer counselling at the same time (which I understand NICE guidelines state you should) I have since asked her to refer me for counselling and am on the waiting list which should take about 4 months.
So I was thinking of coming off them over the next month and a half then ttcing in dec. Does anyone have any advice on this? Would be grateful for any input, thanks
It will take that long for them to start working (I couldn't have stayed that long they made me ill) they're a safe mother and baby drug so don't worry about coming off the to TTC. I know this because my M&B doctor gave me them. Was it your GP that prescribed them or are you under M&B?
I was on 20 too. I resisted for a long time, I stopped taking anything when I got pregnant and refused to let them put me back on anything, I carried on refusing to take anything then eventually the M&B doctor said "look, this is safe for pregnant and nursing mothers and it would be far better for you to be on it than having to struggle without" (I seem to be intolerant to AD's though lol).
Ask for a M&B referal they'll have a far better understanding than your GP and if they think it's necessary they will change your script, but I don't think they will. It's one of the generic ones given to mothers.
I bf on C'pram. It's generally considered one of the okay ones. I think the trouble is, the drug bible that the gps refer to errs majorly on the side of caution wrt bfing and pg. So lots of wrong info is given by GPs.
I tend to look on Kellymom or Hale if I want decent, research based advice on what I can and can't take.
Did you find Hale's site, Dalrymps? I'm not 100% sure if it deals with pg/ttc because I haven't needed it for that but it might be worth a read.
Unfortunately GP's tend to go for the over cautious side especially when they're not sure about something. It's frustrating because there are very little drugs that a GP could give to a breastfeeding mother that would mean she had to stop (antibotics are the common one they worry about, which is ridiculous when it's masitis they're treating) as most are the strong drugs you would have to be under a consultant to prescribe and being on them was far more important than not and breastfeeding (eg antipyschotics or breastfeeding?)
Thanks for the advice, my doc just didn't seem very supportive when I mentioned ttc but I don't know if she was worried about the drugs or just that I was emotionally strong enough iyswim. Gonna stay on them for now and see how I go