Talk

Advanced search

Anne with an E, Season 3 Netflix

(15 Posts)
SerenDippitty Sat 11-Jan-20 10:26:56

Anybody watching?

AlpineSnow Sat 11-Jan-20 11:43:53

I enjoyed the first season but couldn't get into the 2nd. What book is the 3rd one about and what happens?

SerenDippitty Sat 11-Jan-20 17:25:59

It’s so far from the books it’s difficult to say! She’s now 16 and not yet been to Queens so still the first I think? She is trying to find out about her birth parents. She and Gilbert are being offhand and distant and Gilbert is now interested in someone else..

Samcro Sat 11-Jan-20 17:46:36

I would love to know the difference between it and the books, i read them as a. Child but have no memory of them.
It all seems rather strange for the time, the children still being at school

Also who teaches the small children?

MrsSlocombesPussy Sat 11-Jan-20 21:16:38

I've watched them all, I thought it was better than Season 2. I'm a bit disappointed that this is the last season though.
I've never read the books but I have vague memories of a tv series back in the 70's 'Anne of Avonlea'

BonnyConnie Sat 11-Jan-20 21:24:32

I’ve binge watched it. It’s a shame because they’ve picked quite a good cast and it’s beautifully filmed but the plot just doesn’t work (it’s all completely out of historical context which removes the old timey wholesome charm). Ignoring the historical inaccuracy there was just something much more warming about the books (although I do like the Gilbert/Sebastian side plot, expect some things that happen in season three that I won’t go into because spoilers).

Kitsandkids Sun 12-Jan-20 08:24:52

Just finished binge watching last night. I think I cried during every episode. I loved it!

ValancyRedfern Sun 12-Jan-20 08:30:44

I watched the first ever episode and thought the characters and acting were spot on but I hated that it veered so far from the book. I have read the books 100 times so I'm quite precious about it! I really want a new series to watch though. Should I give it another go?

PerspicaciaTick Sun 12-Jan-20 08:39:47

I enjoyed it, although they have given up any pretence of being anything like the books. Sobbed like a loon at parts (I won't say what).

Inherdefence Mon 13-Jan-20 17:44:38

I’m also an Anne fan. So much so that I travelled nearly 4000 miles from Vancouver to PEI so I could visit Green Gables (and it was worth it). I loved series 1 but couldn’t get into series 2 because it had moved so far from the books so I’m wary of trying series 3.

Trewser Mon 13-Jan-20 17:46:02

I was looking forward to it but absolutely hated it. No need to veer so far from the books and the sexual abuse subtext was weird and horrible. Yuck.

TheShoesa Mon 13-Jan-20 17:59:04

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch an Anne of Green Gables adaptation having seen the Kevin Sullivan films in the 1980s (Megan Follows as Anne and Johnathan Crombie as Gilbert) Perfect!

ValancyRedfern Mon 13-Jan-20 19:33:44

Same here. That version is perfection!!

SerenDippitty Thu 16-Jan-20 12:35:15

I've never read the books but I have vague memories of a tv series back in the 70's 'Anne of Avonlea'

Kim Braden was Anne in that one, she is my definitive Anne. Christopher Blake played Gilbert and a young Nicholas Lyndhurst played Davy!

RaininSummer Thu 16-Jan-20 14:07:18

Not really enjoying this season but am playing it in the background whilst crocheting. Not sure what it is that isn't engaging me as I loved the earlier seasons and adored the books as a child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »