Talk

Advanced search

Patrick Melrose Sky Atlantic Benedict Cumberbatch

(47 Posts)
Helen99999 Fri 11-May-18 17:04:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JuliaRobbers Fri 11-May-18 19:17:23

Yes please!

TomRavenscroft Sat 12-May-18 15:59:18

So looking forward to it!

Etino Sun 13-May-18 21:33:10

Anyone watching? I discarded Mother’s Milk in disgust and only just realised it was he same story, but I’m enjoying it so far.

EachandEveryone Mon 14-May-18 01:08:33

Its very self indulgent but then i guess addicts are. I enjoyed it, if that's the word.

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Mon 14-May-18 01:15:24

Far too reminiscent of my late exH and my late DP.

I've had enough of the crazy to last all my lifetime. Hardly Bendydick Crumplesnatch's fault that his faultless portrayal of mh and addiction issues reminds me of my own unwise choices but nevertheless I don't think I will tune in next week.

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Mon 14-May-18 01:16:33

And yy to self indulgence.

Andylion Mon 14-May-18 14:28:30

Its very self indulgent but then i guess addicts are..

I think that's the reason I gave up after 15 minutes.

lynmilne65 Mon 14-May-18 14:31:45

No, awful 😵

TomRavenscroft Mon 14-May-18 14:59:25

Haven't seen it yet. Reviews on here aren't exactly sparkling, are they? grin

I do like a bit of Cumberbatch, though, so I'll try at least one.

EachandEveryone Mon 14-May-18 16:53:37

Dont listen to us everywhere else is giving it five stars! smile i liked the books though.

JustGettingStarted Mon 21-May-18 19:56:22

I found the first episode hard to watch. I don't like when actors go into acting ott crazy/high/whatever.

But I enjoyed the second episode a lot.

EachandEveryone Mon 21-May-18 22:24:40

Really? I turned the second episode off half way through. I hated the abuse aspect. I probably shouldnt have put it on after The Handmaids Tale but ive had enough i just coukdnt watch it. I loved the books though.

greenlanes Tue 22-May-18 00:43:51

i barely struggled through ep 1 - having tried it on 2 separate attempts. I dont want to waste another hour on ep 2.

JustGettingStarted Tue 22-May-18 05:53:06

It's definitely emotionally painful.

But from the show description I read, I think he's going to get cleaned up and move forward. I'm intrigued enough to want to continue.

dogsdinnerlady Tue 22-May-18 06:45:32

The books are really beautifully written - dark and funny and full of PM's thoughts. They are trying to condense five novels into a short TV series so you miss all the subtlety.

PurplePumpkinPiss Tue 22-May-18 07:30:12

Episode 2 was hard. I'm not a huge fan of BC but he is amazing as Patrick.

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrongNajork Tue 22-May-18 09:41:10

The books can be harrowing, not entertaining which is the issue I think with this adaptation.

Middleoftheroad Tue 22-May-18 21:15:16

As hard as the subject matter is, I'm finding this compelling. It's darkly disturbing and ep2 was especially sickening as I was not familiar with the books/storyline.

Cumberbatch and the cast are superb and it's visually breathtaking. Then there's the writing....the writing. It's witty, it's tragic and left a real mark.

One of the best dramas I've seen in a long time.

Lazypoolday Tue 22-May-18 21:23:17

I've never watched anything with Cumberbatch in, except enigma (?) and didn't really get what the fuss is all about. Hes great in this though so far. The second episode was hard to watch because of the subject matter but overall the series is good imo and will definitely win some acting awards for sure.

rookiemere Tue 22-May-18 21:28:46

I’ve just watched the first episode so far. DH didn’t like it at all - thought the drug taking scenes got boring very quickly. I do tend to agree but I found BCs performance so riveting that i was prepared to meep going.
However Handmaids tale was harrowing enough so not tonight for episode 2

dogsdinnerlady Wed 23-May-18 12:31:06

I thought they handled the scene where Patrick is assaulted by his father really well. I remember reading that part and feeling an overwhelming feeling of shock and sadness. Patrick describes his feelings while he is being raped - it is heartbreaking but brilliant writing.

TomRavenscroft Wed 23-May-18 13:03:26

Lazypoolday, that's not hie best performance IMO. Try Sherlock –he's superb. NB the first series is excellent, the second quite good, then it goes downhill, sadly (not Benedict but the show generally).

He's also very good in Third Star, The Hollow Crown, Tinker Tailor and Van Gogh: Painted With Words.

Sorry for the mini-hijack...

Middleoftheroad Fri 25-May-18 06:53:28

@TomRavenscroft

I liked him in Parade's End best when he wasn't being the archetypal Cumberbatch, though loved Sherlock to begin with.

DarlingNikita Fri 25-May-18 10:30:56

He was quite good in PE (a bit miscast maybe though). I thought the series overall was a damp squib and a bit of a waste of a good cast.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: