Talk

Advanced search

What can I watch that is like The Wire but is not The Wire?

(58 Posts)
ValleyClouds Mon 05-Feb-18 23:07:53

Currently binging the Wire (again) but when I'm done would like to watch a Criminal Investigation type series that I haven't yet seen

I want it to be complex and rewarding like the Wire, not a formulaic crime of the week type thing, an ongoing arc or series of stories

I have access to Sky, Prime, Netflix

I basically want The Wire but not The Wire

I have seen

Mindhunter
Manhunt Unabomber
Dark
The Sinner
Breaking Bad

Didn't like Dexter and couldn't get into either the US or EU The Killing

Thanks!

CheshireSplat Mon 05-Feb-18 23:09:27

Have you watched Line of Duty? Series 2 is one of my favourite TV series.

CrabappleBiscuit Mon 05-Feb-18 23:11:33

Narcos.

ValleyClouds Mon 05-Feb-18 23:11:59

Yes!

I saw the first series and then lost track, I could do with starting that again there's four series now isn't there?

RumAppleGinger Mon 05-Feb-18 23:12:19

Second Line of Duty. Hadn't watched any of it until the end of last year and smashed through all of it in a month or so. It's brilliant. First couple of series are on Netflix

I loved The Shield too. It can be pretty brutal bit its one of my favourite ever boxsets. Not sure where you can watch it though.

ValleyClouds Mon 05-Feb-18 23:13:45

Struggled with Narcos because at the time I wasn't in the mood for the concentration needed with subtitles but yes, I should give that another crack

Dark is German and amazing

ValleyClouds Mon 05-Feb-18 23:16:24

I have heard good things about the Shield, but as you say, it does seem to have vanished without trace.

So,

Line Of Duty
Narcos
Shield

CrabappleBiscuit Mon 05-Feb-18 23:16:54

I liked Deutschland 83 as well.

And borgen.

And the original danish The Killing.

ValleyClouds Mon 05-Feb-18 23:21:01

I got into Spiral for a while but lost track

nancy75 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:24:27

The night of, it’s just 1 series - very good

kally195 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:25:05

If you loved The Wire, check out David Simon's new series The Deuce. Absolutely brilliant. We've just watched the entire first series and thankfully it's been renewed for a second. You'll see a lot of familiar faces from The Wire, as well.

Kuriusoranj Mon 05-Feb-18 23:25:52

Another vote for The Shield, which is where were went from The Wire. I had thought it would be a bit Wire-lite, but in fact it is really good and had flashes of brilliance. It's not The Wire, but then nothing is, really, is it?

nancy75 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:28:03

David Simon (he made the Wire) did a mini series called Generation kill. It’s not a cop show, it’s about soldiers in Iraq - not usually something I would like but it’s excellent ( lots of cast from The Wire in it)

nancy75 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:29:20

Treme, another David Simon show is also great but it’s more about characters than anything actually happening

HotSteppa Mon 05-Feb-18 23:30:47

I've just started The Duce tonight. By the same writers as the wire. 70s NYC sex workers. Maggie Gyllenhaal, James Franco. The piolt was really good

ValleyClouds Mon 05-Feb-18 23:41:41

I can't find the Deuce on Sky Box Sets, I looked a while ago was very disappointed

ValleyClouds Mon 05-Feb-18 23:44:46

Watching just now remembering how much I hated Bodie at the end of S1 yet how I felt by the end

The characters are so great Brianna Barksdale is a monster

Where can I find Generation Kill?

SundayShining Tue 06-Feb-18 06:34:19

Try Braquo. It's French, very gritty and utterly compelling. They made 4 series so it's good for a binge.

nancy75 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:44:29

Try prime for Generation kill, we watched it on DVD (it is quite old!)

MrsBCJ Tue 06-Feb-18 10:47:29

if you are ok with subtitles I'd go The Bridge (Swedish/Danish) police drama or Spirals (French) both excellent.

Not police but also love Gomorrah on Sky Atlantic

DGRossetti Tue 06-Feb-18 20:41:23

True Detective

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 06-Feb-18 21:49:28

The Sheild, the bridge and the USA version of the killing.

TammySwansonTwo Tue 06-Feb-18 23:10:20

Definitely The Shield - I even prefer it to The Wire. It comes and goes from Netflix on rotation.

Sons of Anarchy is a little more schlocky but still very gripping.

EachandEveryone Tue 06-Feb-18 23:12:57

I bought the Shield off ebay for afew quid.

TammySwansonTwo Tue 06-Feb-18 23:17:08

That’s the bargain of the century right there!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: