Talk

Advanced search

BBC2 Alone with the in-laws

(32 Posts)
ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 20:11:27

Anyone watching this?

Young couple about to get married have to spend a few days with each other's parents (alone) to understand their family better.

LottieDoubtie Thu 06-Apr-17 20:12:56

Thanks for the heads up, just turned it on shock sounds horrendous

Pebbles16 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:17:18

I just posted in chat. I think it's a brilliant idea (no matter how painful). I lived with my pil for 4 months very early on. Opened my eyes. Was not entirely comfortable

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 20:30:47

I can't find the thread in Chat.

I think the woman's dad and wife are giving a really good example. The guy's parents seem so old for their age. They must only be in their late fifties but the woman is more old fashioned than my 86 year old mum.

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 20:31:43

What's interesting is that the MIL doesn't seem to have ever been asked questions about her life before this.

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 20:32:42

I think the younger woman is feeling the long cold fingers of doom.

FreedomMummy Thu 06-Apr-17 20:33:45

I think it's interesting as the topics they are covering are important to think about before getting married but not sure about doing it through the in-laws.

Having said that it definitely seems to be helping the young couple understand why their partner is a certain way.

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 20:37:42

His parents' faces when they were asked about sex before marriage! His mum's eyes nearly popped out of her head!

FreedomMummy Thu 06-Apr-17 20:40:10

Lol I know. The Dad just can't cope talking about their marriage. It's a bit sad but equally it just seems to be the way that they are.

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 20:42:21

I don't think he gives it a second thought. It's surprising that they agreed to be on.

The groom isn't coming out of this well. Hides his salary. Won't step out of his comfort zone and have a dance. Wants to be in a marriage like his mum and dad.

FreedomMummy Thu 06-Apr-17 20:43:45

Hmmm he isn't at the moment. He may do more when with his partner...

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 20:44:11

He's just like his dad, tbh.

FreedomMummy Thu 06-Apr-17 20:49:17

I think although the guys parents have been portrayed as quite stale and a bit old fashioned I think that may be a little bit to do with editing and they are just a stable married couple.

FreedomMummy Thu 06-Apr-17 20:50:27

I'm not sure about her mum to be honest...

Pebbles16 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:55:16

I'm not sure my DH would have married me. I would have married him though.

ThatsNotMyMummy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:00:23

His mum and dad just seem content. They remind me of my parents. It works for them.
I loved the pub conversation I think the dad wanted the world to swallow him up!!!
Her mum is obviously worried about how much her daughter has given up.

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 21:05:32

I worry about what she's giving up. I think her fiance is much more rigid than she is and she's expected to give up an awful lot.

Eastpoint Thu 06-Apr-17 22:56:52

I've just watched it on catch up. I was surprised by how well they thought it had gone when they had their meeting at the end, I would have been tempted to break off the relationship, whether I was him or her.

ImperialBlether Thu 06-Apr-17 22:59:46

Me too, particularly in her position. I felt this wasn't the life she'd dreamed of and that she felt she was giving up so much - not a great way to start a marriage.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 07-Apr-17 09:58:10

The bride to be didn't seem very happy. I was surprised there was no follow up or footage of the actual wedding. I wondered if she'd called it off.

Eastpoint Fri 07-Apr-17 10:03:15

In today's Times the TV review says it was a one off, the critic thought that Stacey was normal & Chris a bit odd, too ordered. The final line of the review is

"His future wife's journey was what we needed to understand however - and we just didn't."

and I agree with that - although he could provide her with material comforts those were not important things to her.

ImperialBlether Fri 07-Apr-17 18:23:58

I thought Stacey was lovely - she tried really hard to fit into his family. I was surprised she liked his dad so much by the end. I did think her boyfriend, Chris, was going to be just like his dad within a very short time.

LardLizard Fri 07-Apr-17 19:26:19

That couple seemed a serious mismatch to me
I was physically cringing half the time

She is not that into him imo

FoostyFandang Fri 07-Apr-17 20:48:14

bloody hell, i have to know whar happens to these guys in the end! does anybody know?

ImperialBlether Fri 07-Apr-17 22:19:45

I thought she was lovely but I don't think she's a match for him or his family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now