Talk

Advanced search

CBBC My Life, I am Leo. anyone see it?

(3 Posts)
meglet Tue 18-Nov-14 09:18:47

It was on yesterday at 6pm. Lovely documentary about a lad who had had gender reassignment.

It was very touching, but made so well that my dc's didn't see it a big deal, they just asked a few questions and accepted it.

joanneahrens Sun 23-Nov-14 12:38:49

I dont feel its necessary for children to know or understand about gender reassignment. I would not let my son watch a dispatches story about gender reassignment and i certainly dont expect it from a channel he should be watching blue peter on. I didnt see it and im sure it was good. It doesnt offend me at all i have a friend who is going through the process. I just think its unneccessary to invite children into that world. The child who was going throught the ordeal started his life confused and it probably wont end there. I have no intention of confusing any of my children. I will answer any questions they have if they come into contact with someone who is struggling with their gender.

falgelednl Sun 23-Nov-14 13:14:58

I watched it with my two DDs who really enjoyed it. I have two transgender friends so my girls already know that not everyone is born in the right type of body. I liked that the programme didn't go into specifics of gender reassignment but did show how tough it can be for society to accept that a child knows they are in the wrong type if body. I liked how accepting his secondary school had been but found it sad that his primary school had struggled and that this had made it harder for him. I thought he was very lucky to have such a supportive mum although it did show that not everyone was so accepting.
I like children's programmes that introduce and discuss such issues. My girls are 8 and 5 and I don't think it was inappropriate for them - but then, we watch TV together. I am not sure I would have watched it had someone else's child been here as I respect that they may not want their child to watch this without them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now