Talk

Advanced search

Stretch marks!!!

(9 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 21-May-16 14:14:38

DD (13) has stretch marks on her thighs and knees - from a quick google it seems normal, but I'd never heard of this!

Should I get her something like BioOil?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 21-May-16 14:22:10

Completely normal due to growth spurts. They'll fade in time.

Changingagain Sat 21-May-16 14:22:12

Yes it's normal, I got them badly as a teenager. I remember telling my mum and being told "don't be stupid, you only get stretch marks if you're pregnant."
BioOil and the alternatives don't actually do much for most people but I suppose it might make here feel better to try it. I think the main thing you can do to help her is to reinforce the fact that most people have their 'imperfections' and that the, often photoshopped, celebrity bodies are not the norm.

specialsubject Sat 21-May-16 18:03:28

don't waste your money. They will fade or they won't, Biooil and similar stuff is utterly unproven.

I agree; time for lesson 1, pictures lie.

Orac Sat 21-May-16 18:06:14

I remember getting these a hundred years ago and ironically I never got a single stretch mark during pregnancy.
They do fade a bit but to be honest they never go away completely.

SwearyGodmother Sat 21-May-16 18:08:39

Please don't make a big deal of it. I remember my mother being so disappointed when I had stretch marks on my hips from them appearing overnight and I won't forget how that made me feel. They faded so much by the time I left my teens that they're only apparent when I have a suntan so they really don't bother me. I doubt anyone other than my mother or me ever noticed them.

Euphemia Sat 21-May-16 18:13:04

I was shocked when I first saw them, but I'm not a fuss-maker so she's fine. She's had quite a growth spurt this year and is very pleased to be almost looking me in the eye. grin

Couldashouldawoulda Sat 21-May-16 18:20:34

The poor thing! I got loads of them as a teen too, although weirdly none during pregnancy. They're not as noticeable once they fade from red to white. She could try Bio Oil if she wants to put something on them, but it prob won't do much tbh. Main thing is to reassure her that they're normal and loads of people have them, so it's nothing to worry about. I feel for her. I worried so much about mine!

Euphemia Sat 21-May-16 18:31:12

I don't remember having them at all - maybe I grew at a more steady pace?!

Had purple ones in pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now