Talk

Advanced search

Stutter/stammer

(5 Posts)
Jaxpax100 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:10:30

My 13 year old dd has stammered for a while now. Not a total block, just repetition of words or initial sounds. She's still a pretty confident speaker though. We've seen an NHS speech therapist but the advice wasn't that helpful. Has anyone had successful treatment for a stammer? What type of treatment was it, and would you recommend the therapist?

Clare1971 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:17:37

I haven't got any experience of this but I seem to remember the x-factor guy Gareth Gates who had a stutter used a treatment which helped him and I think he now promotes it. Maybe you could google it? I do think you're doing the right thing trying to get help. Hope someone with better advice comes along soon. Good luck.

fatherfurlong Mon 03-Aug-15 23:51:26

Both my kids stuttered but from a very early age. Both were treated under the Lipscombe programme which I am sure your SALT will know about. It may even be a bit dated now. I always felt the intervention they offered didn't seem to do much but overtime it worked ( for one child not the other).
There is also a good organisation called the Starfish project who were quite helpful. I am glad that your child remains confident in speaking and hope she continues to be so.

RayofSun Mon 03-Aug-15 23:56:46

Not sure where you are based but we used a voice coach for my son when traditional SALT proved completely useless. He doesn't have a stammer but I know his voice coach does successfully treat people with such.

Taleggio Mon 03-Aug-15 23:59:12

Or have you tried the British Stammerers Association? My 3 yr old has developed a stammer and they've been really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now