Advanced search

Advice needed

(5 Posts)
lc82991011 Sat 16-Nov-13 12:17:43

My 14yr old daughter has been on a rocky path for a little while now, she has been self harming and has just been referred to the adolescent and child mental health team, this week we have found out that she has been stilling from school and has been taking Mkak.
I have now just found a letter in her bag headlined my funeral plans saying what she wants done with her body, where to find letters to give to her friends and what type of service and people she wants there.
I am really worried that she will find a way to attempt suicide because of the path she seems to be on at the moment,
Do I call a health professional?
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Brenna27 Sat 16-Nov-13 16:09:24

If you ever feel like she is in serious danger of harming herself seriously or attempting suicide take her to a healthcare professional immediately. also ring up CAMHS and tell them what is going on to schedule a meeting ASAP. Hope all gets better soon, keep an eye on her and she must be lucky to have such a concerned parent, all the best
Brenna xxx

Palika Sat 16-Nov-13 17:08:14

I am so sorry to hear that - it must be absolutely awful.

If you seriously think she is about to commit suicide you can drive her to the nearest mental health hospital where they have to admit her.

If she refuses you need to call the police who will take her there and she will be sectioned. I am not sure but I think you are even legally obliged to do that or be held to justice for negligence. You may want to phone someone who knows (even the police) and ask them.

lightahead Sat 16-Nov-13 22:07:51

I would suggest doing everything you need to keep her safe over the weekend and ring CAMHS first thing Monday and say you require urgent risk assessment. Adult mental health hospitals do not admit children, there is always an on call child psychiatrist who could be contacted by either your local A and E or gp weekend cover. The police can detain a child on a section 136 for further assessment but she would need to be considered mentally disordered in a public place. The substance misuse may be a coping strategy for whatever else is wrong. I work in mental health(not children) this is not uncommon she may be depressed, with help she should get better. Try not to worry too much but get firm with CAMHS about urgent need for help if they try and say she is on waiting list, talk about urgent need for suicide risk assessment.

cory Sun 17-Nov-13 11:21:13

Nothing much to add to what lightahead said, just wanted to say how sorry I am for you; it's such a horrible, horrible fear. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now