Advanced search

after proof of age " student card" for 6th form child?

(11 Posts)
BackforGood Tue 23-Jul-13 23:11:15

Yes, but £50 is a lot of money if he's not learning to drive.
Nor does it prove he's in full time education.

cheapskatemum Tue 23-Jul-13 21:10:18

At 17 you can get a provisional driving licence - apply online. Or, does your DS have a passport?

mumeeee Tue 23-Jul-13 09:39:24

Students in 6th form can get a NUS card. DD1 did this. DD2 and DD3 went to college and everywhere eexcepted their College ID Card. They have just changed the bus fayres here, so that 16 to 18 year olds now pay child fayres,

secretscwirrels Mon 22-Jul-13 19:39:58

It is frustrating. Last year they charged DS full adult price at the swimming pool because he was 16 and yet not a student hmm.

BackforGood Mon 22-Jul-13 19:25:14

I know they don't want to carry them about with them, but I asked in the optician how I could prove my ds was still at school (as over 16) and they said they'd accept sight of his planner grin

Not that practical for his life, but worked for that occasion.

musicposy Mon 22-Jul-13 15:19:39

Oh and the summer between Y11 and 12 last year, we had the same as you. Adult fare on all the buses when all those older part time working students got student fares! It is annoying.

musicposy Mon 22-Jul-13 15:17:22

DD1's college gave her an NUS card for which she paid £12.99, I think. She made that back in Dominos and Subway grin
I don't know if smaller schools do this, but worth asking them when he returns.

eatyourveg Mon 22-Jul-13 11:23:58

we got this one for ds1 tho it doesn't prove he is a student it does still get you discounts

secretscwirrels Mon 22-Jul-13 11:20:43

My 17 year old DS has a NUS student union discount card which does the ID job and gives discounts at lots of places. I think it cost about £10 but has repaid that in pizza hut discounts. They do send it to school or college though. I guess this is a way to prove they are a student. I am sure the school / college will be well used to the process.

Trills Mon 22-Jul-13 09:07:17

Hi not-Leah!

Doesn't the school have any kind of ID card? Presumably all the over-15s at the school have the same problem. If they don't have a card then maybe the student council or similar should encourage them to get one.

In the meantime You can get a NUS card if you are 16 or over and in full time education. It's not a proof of age card but it is a proof of being a student card.

Theas18 Mon 22-Jul-13 08:31:24

Perverse situation at the moment in out family.

Go to cinema ( for example) . Student rate for 20yr old as has uni ID, child rate for 14yr old and adult rate for 17yr old DS !!

This isn't Leah name changing about 17yr olds being adults.....

How can DS get id to prove he's a student? He's found something that will " only send it to school and I think they'll loose it" which might mean he looked at one website and gave up!

Any advice? ta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now