Talk

Advanced search

Can anyoebn explain to me about US children's clothes sizes please ?

(7 Posts)
BikeRunSki Fri 30-Oct-09 12:26:43

DS has a pair of jeans, Levis, which are size 2T. What does this mean? I have noticed that Gap Kids do "T" sizes too. (The jeans were a present. I buy his clothes from Asda and Saino's mostly!).

They are too narrow (and he's really not fat) yet miles, miles too long (and he is 95th centil tall) ? does this long legged ness mean that they are meant for an older child and they will fit when he is out of nappies ? Or does it mean that he just doesn't fit Levis jeans?

He is 14 montsh old, still in 9-12 month stuff from Next and Asda, 12-18 most other places.

MrsBadger Fri 30-Oct-09 12:50:01

I had this problem with US trous too

I think they are 'toddler' - they're meant to fit a 2yo who (crucially) is out of nappies

I did put some away for wen the time comes, but on othrs I hacked the legs off and dd wore them at about 12m.

Bunkups33 Fri 30-Oct-09 14:11:19

Yes 2T means age 2 toddler or probably equivalent to 2-3 in UK sizes. Lots of US kids clothes are really long and lean. I always get DS longer trews and turn them up so as to get more than 2 weeks wear out of them!

mathanxiety Sat 31-Oct-09 04:32:58

T is toddler. I think I recall this as being a bit more childlike (out of nappies is important for fit) in proportions than 24 Month size. You can get month-based sizing in some US brands up to 36 months I believe (memory could be faulty here, though), and I think they tend to be a bit wider, with shorter legs.

CheerfulYank Sat 31-Oct-09 04:39:13

Yes, 24 mos and 2T are both meant for 2 year olds, but 24 months is more of a "baby-ish" fit IYSWIM. Months do go up to 36 and then it's 4T, 5T, and then 6-14. I think. DS is 2 but big for his age and he is wearing 3Ts now. He's still in diapers, too.

BikeRunSki Tue 03-Nov-09 13:22:01

Thank you girls. I'll keep the Levis and hope they fit when he is out of nappies.

AcrossThePond Tue 03-Nov-09 18:54:20

Anything with 'T' is supposed to fit a Toddler who wears diapers therefore larger in the bum. 24 months and 2T are the same and would correspond with a 2-3 years at H&M. A '4' and a '4T' would have different fit with the '4' being slimmer in the bum area. All brands run different but Levi's are cut smaller, I believe.
Hope the helps..ps I've joined this board because I love Boden & the British accent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now