Talk

Advanced search

Cycle a lot, but bored of jeans...

(21 Posts)
fluffles Mon 26-Oct-09 10:24:23

Can anybody offer me any inspiration. I cycle around town a lot to get places but not for miles and miles, just ten mins at a time so i don't do the full lycra look or get sweaty... don't want to do a full clothes change - i just cycle in what i'm wearing but i'm bored bored bored of wearing jeans.

i want to wear knee-length boots.. but i've never cycled in a skirt and i'm not really sure about trying... maybe with leggings it might be ok?? i don't know... or maybe i could pull some yoga pants on under my skirt for riding??

anybody got any good ideas for looking stylish while cycling around town (not in jeans)??

Amandoh Mon 26-Oct-09 13:09:35

Are you worried about being able to cycle in a skirt or flashing your knickers?

If it's the latter then a pair of wool tights would save your modesty. Or would they catch and tear on a bike? hmm If so then it sounds like leggings are the way to go.

fluffles Mon 26-Oct-09 13:33:25

lol - worried about both flashing and the technicalities... worried that i might end up unable to actually get my leg over the bike without hiking the skirt up round my waist blush

and also a bit worried about what happens at traffic lights when i have to stop and stand over the bike... and not sure if something with a bit of room is better (a-line for e.g.) or something shorter and tighter (cord casual straight skirt for e.g.).

just generally worried i guess.

overmydeadbody Mon 26-Oct-09 14:27:46

fluffles I cycle everywhere, all the time, it is how I get around, and I can honestly say what I am wearing is not even a consideration lol

I just make sure I am not wearing my best winter coat or anything, but trousers, leggins, shorts, skirts, anything goes (I have not treid maxi dresses and skirts tohugh and neither do I intend to, yuk). Boots are good for cycling in actually, especially with leggings and a short skirt.

I don't think I flash people, but in the summer if I have no leggings or tights on I would probably not wear a short flowey skirt, but short tight ones are ok as they can't blow up in wind.

It's easy to stop at lights etc in skirts, honest.

You just need to get on your bike and try, without worrying or being self-conscious!

overmydeadbody Mon 26-Oct-09 14:28:25

And sometimes I hoik my skirt up a bit to mount my bike, don't think anyone notices tbh.

overmydeadbody Mon 26-Oct-09 14:29:11

or I might cycle somewhere standing up on the pedals if the skirt is a bit too short to sit down in.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 14:37:53

lol do you remain standing at your destination in that case omdb?

fluffles Mon 26-Oct-09 16:08:54

ooohhh... maybe i just need to be a bit braver and experiment a bit grin

i'll start with v. thick tights first and a stretchy jersey skirt and see how it goes...

overmydeadbody Mon 26-Oct-09 16:50:24

lol heartofgold

AngelinaJolly Mon 26-Oct-09 19:28:33

Hi I too cycle everywhere, but I have a Kangaroo so I don't have to put a foot down at traffic lights. I'm sick of my old jeans so have been wearing leggings and denim skirt, or thick tights and knee length A-line skirt. I do need a slightly A-line skirt to accomodate saddle (one is Boden- always more "generous"! another is an old one I cut to shorten it (best with leggings)). I also have a jersey A-line skirt. I've also been wearing stretchy skinny jeans with dresses or tunics over the top too.

Now my challenge is to find a nice coat/ jacket thing that is wicking, breathable, washable, and stretches over the shoulders when I'm leaning forward to get up the hills, and that is NOT A FLEECE!

Or am I asking for the moon on a stick?

MenWhoStareAtMe Mon 26-Oct-09 19:30:42

i just cycle in whatever clothes i am wearing. i have a good chain guard and am a recent convert to a 'lady bike' so no hurling my legs up in the air.

snickersnack Mon 26-Oct-09 19:38:41

I've just cycled back from work (30 mins from central London) in knee length boots, fishnets and skirt. Had a smart top and cardigan in the office, changed that to long sleeve t shirt and fleece plus hi vis vest for coming home. All fine, no embarrassing moments and I was faster than some men in Lycra.

Am pondering the jacket conundrum too - ideally would like a solution that is smart enough to wear as a coat but also that is warm and waterproof. Would pay good money for one as my cagoule, though practical, is far from stylish.

hambo Mon 26-Oct-09 19:39:07

jeggings!!

BikeRunSki Mon 26-Oct-09 19:52:22

Have a look here - technical cycling kit for girls, but miles and miles away from black lycra.

Minx Girl

pregnantpeppa Mon 26-Oct-09 20:00:04

Short skirts are fine to cycle in, if they are tight they ride up a bit, but as long as you are wearing tights you don't feel exposed (and don't look exposed either, I have canvassed my DH's opinion). A-line skirts even easier to ride in but you can't get away with too short - they flap about too much otherwise! I cycle in knee high boots and heels all the time! (also 10 min rides round town)

momijigari Mon 26-Oct-09 20:26:45

I cycle in short cord skirt, with tights, but sometimes my rain cape covers everything.

Today I had on dark brown Mol boots, purple leggings and brown v neck jumper dress when I cycled to school, very comfortable.

I was tempted by the smart shorts look, but never got round to getting any.

AngelinaJolly Mon 26-Oct-09 20:49:06

BikeSkiRun- that's heading in the right direction! Thanks.

fluffles Mon 26-Oct-09 21:07:10

this is gorgeous www.minx-girl.com/productdetails.cfm?cfid=5688321&cftoken=66803669&prodID=BIOWJKT&mode=productlist&c urPage=1 but VERY expensive!!!

right, tomorrow i'm going to try knee-high boots and leggings and a shortish cord skirt... cross your fingers for me!

fluffles Mon 26-Oct-09 21:08:03

smart shorts would be great but despite the cycling i don't have the legs for them sad

momijigari Mon 26-Oct-09 23:17:49

I like the minx stuff and ikwym about legs not being great for shorts, I think my legs and thighs are quite sturdy after cycling pulling two kids in a trailer over the last 2 years - although they wouldn't be so bad if they were a few inches longer.

Amaris Tue 27-Oct-09 07:12:50

Same as everyone else really, I cycle in skirts/dresses, not too tight as uncomfortable to sit down, not too long as get caught in brake. Sometimes feel I'm showing a bit too much leg, but never knickers, but so what! I don't think anyone's looking and if they are that's their problem! I have a bike with a cross bar too and fine to, er, get my leg over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now