Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help please! Outfit for drinks and bbq after informal wedding...

(10 Posts)
hotchachachaingbunny Sat 10-Oct-09 12:56:41

Please someone help! We've just received an invitation to a very last minute drinks and bbq party to celebrate with the happy couple and the recent birth of their baby girl.

I have no idea at all what to wear. It's at their house, so reasonably low key, but the bride/groom and their families will have just been to the wedding, so will be fairly smartly dressed.

I am large of nork(32G), 5'6", size 12, with chunky legs and general flabbiness, and I just have not got a clue what to wear. My budget is probably £100 at the very top, but that needs to include shoes probably.

Impossible? I hope you lovely stylish Mners will be able to come to my rescuesmile

hotchachachaingbunny Sat 10-Oct-09 14:07:42

No-one? I wondered about this www.bravissimo.com/products/clothing/shirts-and-tops/bravissimo/bc50-details.aspx with a pair of black trousers and heels?

lilysam Sat 10-Oct-09 18:09:01

There seems to be lots of tunics/short dresses around at the minute which look very smart, with nice black opaque tights and shoes...

The outfit you are describing is what i'd wear to work - sorry - although a nice top in itself.

NyeEve Sat 10-Oct-09 18:10:38

bbq?
in october?
will you be standing outside?
id do some cool wide leg trousers in a soft wool.
patent shoes or boots
smart shirt wiht a soft flowy long cardigan over

hotchachachaingbunny Sat 10-Oct-09 23:19:18

Oh thank you for answering! Sorry I haven't been back - family crisis<eek>

I had a brief look this afternoon and have come home with nothingsad The tunics I found were either too short to wear with tights or round high neck which would look hideous on the bust...

I think we'll probably be inside for most of the time, but I guess outside if not too too cold. I wont want to wear a coat, so will need layers. I like the sound of wool trousers(nice and cosy!) but didn't see any today.

I'm nearly 40, but everything seemed either much to young, or something I could picture my Granny wearinghmm

Any other suggestions??? I really appreciate your help.

hotchachachaingbunny Mon 12-Oct-09 14:25:44

Shameless bump for the daytime style gurus!

I'm still absolutely stuck for ideas. I have a light green knee-length moleskin skirt, dark green thin wrap cardi and high heel black boots - would that be too posh? I wore it for a christening recently, but we went to a posh hotel after. I'm not at all good at judging these things.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 12-Oct-09 14:38:15

That sounds spot on to me. It sounds really smart and you shouldn't feel too casual in it compared to the 'full wedding' guests.

hotchachachaingbunny Mon 12-Oct-09 14:53:27

Thank you Florence! Yes that's what I'm worrying about although I think it's only immediate family going to the ceremony, so there'll others who are just coming to the house, and who knows what they'll wear<fret>.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 12-Oct-09 15:00:45

Don't fret! I think that you'll look great and I imagine that there'll be a real mix of outfits all the way from evening dresses to jeans and a nice little top.

lilysam Tue 13-Oct-09 07:32:15

That sounds lovely - i think you'll look great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: