Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I URGE you to buy this dress. It is £14 and looks great

(31 Posts)
Jewelsandgems Wed 26-Aug-09 13:37:11

It's from Matalan!

It is £14!

Looks amazing, and 100% viscose so no ironing/pilling/creases.

here it is

And I am 31, so not just for the very young crowd. I bought the 8 and the 10, and even though I prefer the 8 I cannot bring myself to send the 10 back - it is so cheap and such a good autumn/winter (even summer!) dress I may as well just have a spare slightly bigger one!

I tried it with long leggings, with opaque tights, with skinny jeans, with bare legs, looked great with each.

And it ia £14!!

potatofactory Wed 26-Aug-09 13:43:38

I like it! smile

MadreInglese Wed 26-Aug-09 13:43:44

Hmm, a bit too flowery for me

Fimbo Wed 26-Aug-09 13:46:56

Aye because you are the right size for it.

The dc would be able to play hide and seek underneath it on me.

Jewelsandgems Wed 26-Aug-09 13:53:29

fimbo I think it would look good on all sizes - has a lovely elasticated detail that creates a lovely hourglass shape. My husband did say it made my arse look bigger than usual though (but I quite like big arses) grin

OrmIrian Wed 26-Aug-09 13:54:21

I would look huge in that. But pretty though.

SammyK Wed 26-Aug-09 13:54:34

Ah I know someone who is an 8/10 and wears lovely dresses bought in the sale or from Primarni, she always looks great in them, whereas I look like a hideous frump!

Glad you found a bargain though that you like and looks nice on. smile

Umlellala Wed 26-Aug-09 13:56:29

Ooh looks great! Will try and get to a Matalan...

spicemonster Wed 26-Aug-09 13:59:44

Ooh that's nice. I have a dress I got in Matalan last year which cost £18 and which I've now worn to 2 weddings and received a load of compliments. I shall try and get down there

Thandeka Wed 26-Aug-09 14:11:22

Yup Umlellala you defo have the figure for it and would look ace on you. I defo don't. That dress is very pretty but god it would make me look like I was full term with triplets rather than 17 weeks with one and it would also look like one triplet was on each hip!
Sniff. This is why I dont do dresses.

(Thandeka is secretly very glad that now she is pregnant she can serenely say "due feb" and smile sweetly instead of snarling "no I fudging am not, I'm just fat!" when the question arises)

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 26-Aug-09 14:13:09

do you still have to a member to shop in matalan?

Umlellala Wed 26-Aug-09 14:22:25

Aw, thanks grin

I tried on one of those tulip dresses (with a perplum? is that right? sounds rude...) and looked like my mum at a wedding in 1988. sad and shock that I am now of an age that is Too Old for things. So would be v impressed if I could get away with a nice floral number...

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 14:28:57

peplum, it is a peplum

if ypou are pearshaped or bigger than a 14 DO NOT buy this dress

yoru arse will look colossal

tulpe Wed 26-Aug-09 14:29:59

no membership required for matalan . I love the dress. Tis very pretty.

FlightHattendant Wed 26-Aug-09 14:36:56

Hmm I somehow cannot bring myself to DO ditsy floral prints. I can't. I just....can't <sobs>

but bargain if it suits you smile

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 26-Aug-09 15:16:09

DH doesn't like and as he is better at choosing clothes then me, I won't be buying it.

Jewelsandgems Wed 26-Aug-09 17:49:31

baker your hmm DH doesn't like it and chooses your clothes?

Wow you are brave!

Jewelsandgems Wed 26-Aug-09 17:54:26

Ooops baker my post sounds rather nasty - sorry didn't mean offence.

I am 'The Girl In The Little Floral Dress' so am biased to all things floral, shortish and a dress-like And £14! grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 26-Aug-09 18:08:30

He doesn't choose all my clothes but quite often he will point things out that I wouldn't look twice at and I try them on and they are great on me.

Jewelsandgems Wed 26-Aug-09 19:22:04

baker Good for you

Fimbo Wed 26-Aug-09 23:34:16

Ooh Baker my dh does that too and it is fab, especially when something is ££££ and he says it looks great, have it if you want it. He did that recently with a bag, the style of which I have been looking for, for ages. I didn't even spot it in the shop grin

hellzapoppin Wed 26-Aug-09 23:46:56

Size 8/10 is about right.
I've fallen for those floral numbers before and although I'm a size 12 and tall, I resemble a cart horse wearing a curtain in them.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 27-Aug-09 11:57:52

It is great, Fimbo grin

I have bought him 2 tshirts and a jacket today but the jacket is a maybe. hmm I am rubbish at clothes shopping.

Supercherry Thu 27-Aug-09 12:02:37

It's very Holly Willoughby.

PitysSake Thu 27-Aug-09 13:05:15

ooh noo too frilly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: