Talk

Advanced search

Manicures and false nails that DON'T look scary - talk to me

(20 Posts)
PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 11:32:16

Is it possible to have false nails done properly that don't look shit/super long/break off easily?

Can you do normal things like cook a meal and wash your hair without ruining them?

If you have it as a one-off what happens when they come off - do you have to pick them off to avoid looking odd and uneven, are you left with glue on your nails?

Is it worth doing if all you want is a natural look?

MrsMattie Wed 22-Jul-09 11:34:23

Yes. I get acrylics cut to just a little longer than my natural nail lenth and filed in a oval shape, not the footballer's wives square cut. I also go for natural, neutral colours or a nice bright summery coral at the moment. French manicures are naff.

is it worth it? I think so. My nails always look great. Although I rest my nails for a month every 3 months to allow them to breathe and strengthen again. Acrylics do make your nails thin and weak if you wear them for long periods.

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Jul-09 11:38:36

If you want nice nails for a special occasion, I'd recommend the 3 week manicure from Nails Inc (its actually Biosculpture gel overlays, so you may be able to find someone who does them as those. It is not normal gel nails though).

They are only a bit thicker than nail varnish, and are painted onto your own nail. But they strengthen your nails, and seal the end so it is possible to grow your nails really well underneath. They don't damage your nails either, and you just soak them off with acetone when there is too big of a gap at the back.

I've been really pleased with mine as I can never keep nail varnish on, and they looked immaculate for 3 weeks

ZZZenAgain Wed 22-Jul-09 11:41:23

I get my nails manicured because I'm not much good at it myself but they are just natural, not painted and not long, just tied up IYSWIM. I should think they would do what you want if you go to a good place. Go in and ask?

ZZZenAgain Wed 22-Jul-09 11:41:44

tidied up obviously not tied up!

wonderingwondering Wed 22-Jul-09 11:43:56

Can't you just have your nails filed very short then a bright colour on them? My nails are very weak and flaky and look dreadful without polish, but I keep them very short and have them painted every week and they look really good (I think). Avoids the false nail problems.

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 11:48:46

Ooh thanks for the replies. Have Clarins salon vouchers that I need to use so thought about giving it a try - and have a job interview next week so would like to look a bit, well, groomed.

I keep my nails short, just to the ends of my fingers really, and even then they start to look odd as I trapped four of them in various doors/car doors as a child so they don't grow perfectly straight.

Is £27 a terrible price?

There are other treatments I can choose so I don't have to go there for nails but would be convenient.

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 15:17:10

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 19:18:12

Anyone else? PRice okay?

shhhh Wed 22-Jul-09 19:38:57

go to nail inc (debenhams or john lewis or selfridges usually) and get everlasting polish (ELP). Marvelous imo. Its a gel coating that is sealed onto your nails, lasts 3-4 weeks or longer and looks fab. Just looks like the french manicure (or can be applied in your favourite nail polish colour). Doesn't wear off or chip. soaks off after a month or so. Either by yourself or at the nail bar.

Can be costly at around £40 but you can buy deals to get 4 sets for price of 3 so works out a bit cheaper...and imo its worth the price.

Believe me, you will love it and won't stop!

HTH X

shhhh Wed 22-Jul-09 19:41:26

oopss..just read CMOT's reply smile

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 20:31:07

Hmm I am tempted now by the idea of it being a coating and the colour actually lasting - I never paint my nails as it will chip within a day regardless of price/brand. Thanks shhhh

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 20:32:09

The website says £50 shock

shhhh Wed 22-Jul-09 21:00:57

it may be £50 but prices vary depending on where you go...

I know london nail bar is around £50 but other places iir are about £40-£45..I use my local one in debenhams, get it on the 4 for 3 so it costs £135 and I tend to buy them on mega days so get an extra 10% off so toalling about £121 for 4 sets which works out at £30 per set. Im sure you will agree a big expense at first but works out cheaper and the 4 sets will take you possibly through the year or if you got regular will last you 4/5 months iykwim.

When I first enquired I was a bit shock BUT it was dh who persuaded I go. I had been having acrylic nails for years (10+) and tbh had never been happy, never lasted and new set cost around £20 but wouldn't last beyond a week...dh sensed that even at the nails inc price it was cheaper...

try it and pay the full price and decide from there..I can say hand on heart you will love them.

The amount of women who watch me having them done while having acrylics done on themselves at nails inc are amazed its NOT nailpolish and that it lasts weeks....

HTH x

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 21:07:42

£50 is what it said for my nearest. If I was into having my nails done then I could see value but this is a one-off as a treat so I might stick with the vouchers...

They do sound impressive though!

shhhh Wed 22-Jul-09 21:12:21

ah just read your other reply...didn't realise you had vouchers and for clarins..? didn't realise they did nails...

Give them a go. It saves you the money ! Good luck x

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 21:31:37

Yes, well I also fancy having my eyelashes tinted and brows shaped and things I'd never normally pay for, so would pay for nails elsewhere but that is getting a bit steep. I'll give them a try and ask for Debenhams vouchers at Christmas perhaps

shhhh Wed 22-Jul-09 21:56:51

good idea...don't forget to get a beauty points card for debenhams so beauty products bought give you points and these lead to money off beauty products.

debenhams also do eyebrow threading/eyelash tinting etc..worth a look. x

shhhh Wed 22-Jul-09 21:56:54

good idea...don't forget to get a beauty points card for debenhams so beauty products bought give you points and these lead to money off beauty products.

shhhh Wed 22-Jul-09 21:56:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now